Friday, July 23, 2010

July 23rd

162.6 this morning - my opinion at the time was, "it had damn well better be down!"  Rough night - several leg cramps and lots of tossing and turning.  I can't get the temp right - it's been cold at night - more than our blanket and spread are capable of combating - so I turn on the mattress pad, then turn it off, then get cold again, lather rinse repeat all night.  And the stiffness from working out on Wednesday finally showed up this morning.  While I am grateful for the hiatus, it could have gone on without hurting my feelings any. 

Wearing new size 14 jeans today - and the hips/waist are almost too loose already.  So things continue to go well, generally.  I more or less IFed yesterday - got gnawingly hungry in early afternoon and had 1/8 of the dark chocolate bar I keep here.  That helped a little, but I really wanted meat.  Once home, I had a couple of slices of cheese while cooking, and we had taco salads for dinner - followed by a nosh on walnuts and more cheese.  But since that was it for the day, I had some leeway. 

The whole size thing is interesting.  When I started, I was in size 18 pants and starting to find them a bit uncomfortable.  Now I'm wearing some size 16 chinos and shorts and they're still okay although starting to get a bit loose.  I'm down to 14 in jeans and have been at 14 for dresses for over a month.  My new skirts are 14s and I am probably going to have to take the waist in, although they fit right across the butt.  I fit better in a swimsuit from 2004 this past weekend than I did when I bought it.  Really, all most satisfying!

Had an on-purpose mammogram and ultrasound this morning - the doc thought I was lumpy during my checkup earlier in the month and wanted it looked at.  Found nothing.  I couldn't even find the lumpy bit he'd spotted 3 weeks ago, and neither could any of the technology.  An observation, though.  Most of my fellow patients (and I don't know if they were lumpy or diagnosed with something or just preventative) were overweight.  Taubes goes into details about cancer feeding on glucose - and quite honestly, that was why I was totally unworried about the lumpiness - and it made me wonder.  Just another reason never to go back to the Standard American Diet.

What does set my hair on fire, though, are all the rumblings from the government about dictating "healthy" food choices - because what they are proposing to dictate is what's been making everyone fat for the past 30 years.  If their edicts/recommendations were based on decent science, that would be one thing (well, still unacceptable to this libertarian), but they're not - and our children are going to pay horribly as a result.  Ugh.

No comments:

Post a Comment