Friday, July 2, 2010

From Late April

After 1 week, I can say that this is working very well. I believe I was over 190 on Monday last; a week later, 185.4 (including a drop over the weekend). Some other things that may be occurring with this change in the way we eat (for me, anyway; I haven't sold Lee on the no-dairy-or-grains stuff so much):

* better sleep (granted, I've had the place to myself for a week with Lee being sick and sleeping at the other end of the house, but last night, I was asleep within maybe 10 minutes of lights-out and did not fully wake up until 5:29 am. I sorta-woke around midnight-ish (can't remember the time, so sorta is a good description) to turn off the heater, but that was it. If this lasts, it will be huge for me - it's been 20+ years since I slept well routinely. (5/5/10- continuing.)
* reduced aches-and-pains. Could be a placebo effect thing, since a lot of the success stories on the paleo diet page did seem to point at improvements in inflammation, but whatever the reason, if it's real, I'll take it. my thumbs seem to be subsiding, anyway. (on the other hand, the 2-day backache is going to do me in if it doesn't stop soon)
* possibly increased strength. rising from a seated position has been really hard for me since we got back from the cruise for some reason. I've definitely noticed improvements this weekend.
* possibly improved energy - could be the result of many of the other things, obviously, but again, whatever the cause, it's good.
* digestive changes (less gassiness). At least, I think that's the case.

I'm also rather chuffed by the ease with which I'm doing this. Sometimes, things click, and this appears to be one of those times. I have been avoiding dairy pretty well and am sort of wondering if that might not have been the stumbling block on previous occasions doing South Beach. Pretty much no bread except for the Wendy-burger on Saturday night, and not too many other grains (rice last night in the stuffed peppers, corn with it as a side). I think I like that the fruit and expanded veg show up on day 1 with this approach - have been eating strawberries and mandarins and a banana and that keeps the sugar cravings down a bit (not perfectly, as witnessed by the diminishing stock of Easter candy - but I am not going totally berserk, and I'm not rampaging through the cookies). Anyway, what I want is to morph into eating this way for life, and not treating this like a diet, and I think this can do that. Given that this is meant to be a lifestyle change (reversion, whatever), I've been avoiding calorie tracking, which is actually the hardest part for me. So I've been tracking weight daily, as a substitute (paltry, but it's what I have).

Eating Food. Mostly Plants. Not Too Much. as Michael Pollan says. And that will be the long-term plan, which might allow bread and dairy back in if we can find real bread and pastured dairy.

No comments:

Post a Comment