Monday, October 7, 2013

Monday

Sugar is an addictive substance.

I made the mistake Friday (I think, maybe Saturday) of buying a bag of Brach's "Autumn Mix" - mellowcreme pumpkins and candy corn of two types.  I have always loved candy corn and the pumpkins, and I thought I could have one or two pieces occasionally between now and Halloween.

Yeah - nope.  I have been hoovering this stuff in like the vital substance of life all weekend - I guess that might be a slight overstatement because there is still some left in the bowl, but I'd rather not think about how much of it I did eat.

Very carby weekend; in addition to the sugar binge, I ate a lot of apples (well, maybe 3)... hmmm. Maybe that was it.  It just felt like more.  153.8 this morning, though.  Here's yesterday:
  • omelet with ham cheese and tomato
  • bacon
  • tea with cream
  • vitamin D3 (I don't think I did any of the other supplements)
  • Autumn Mix - many handfuls
  • almond-flour olive oil crackers
  • an apple
  • cheese (I'm pretty sure)
  • meatballs with spaghetti sauce
  • salad with balsamic vinaigrette
  • more Autumn Mix
I don't know if it was the sugar overload or something else, but Lee and Elizabeth's cold started to attack me on Saturday morning.  I woke up with a slight sore throat and some mild body aches. That was pretty much it for Saturday; I did a bunch of cooking that day and was pretty energetic. But went to bed at 8:00 and was probably asleep before 9:00 (with two Benadryl to try to keep from getting stuffed up).  The Benadryl wore off at about 2 am, I think, and I was uncomfortable the rest of the night (stuffy nose, swollen soft palate and uvula, stuff like that).  Stayed in bed yesterday morning and took more vitamin D3 and some Airborne, and the throat unswelled and I started feeling more normal again.  But we had a very quiet weekend; I don't think I even left the house yesterday (except for an abortive trip out for breakfast; we turned around when Lee couldn't stop coughing). Anyway, I went to bed last night with nothing but melatonin, and slept until 4:30, which is crazy long for me of late.  My nose is a bit stuffy this morning and I have a very slight scratchy throat/tickle that prompts me to cough occasionally, but other than that, I feel okay.  I am hoping that this is it for me; I have enjoyed not getting sick for the past 3 years and would prefer to keep it that way.  

Other things I did to keep it at bay: sinus saline rinses, and put some lavender essential oil on my tonsils yesterday morning.  Oh, and tried to sleep with garlic oil and socks on my feet Saturday night.  Don't know if these steps have helped or if my immune system is doing what it's supposed to, despite my attempts to overdose with sugar.

Anyway, recognizing that I'd really rather not be sick and that the sugar may well be a culprit (and let's face it, I've been noshing on sugar far more than normal this past couple of weeks), I am going to buckle down on refined sugar avoidance again.  I have an apple and cheese and salami with me today to eat when I get hungry or cravy (or before 1 pm when I begin an afternoon meeting marathon), so I am hopeful that I can stay out of the stuff during the workday, at least.

No comments:

Post a Comment