Monday, January 13, 2014

Monday

Over the weekend, I bought some plain greek yogurt and tried having it with potato starch and honey in it.  Didn't taste too bad, but the downstream effects were maybe more than I'd bargained for. Indigestion and flatulence, to be blunt.  Not pleasant.  So I think I'm going to come up with other means to provide an encouraging environment for the gut flora.  Probably eat more plants, specifically. Berries for pectin, another good pre-biotic. Leaves for bacterial transport and other useful stuff - in the Heisenbug blog analyses of American Gut profiles, he seems to be indicating that a plant-heavy diet encourages the butyrate-producers. And truly, apart from blood sugar control, I'm not entirely sure what the benefits of resistant starch are, yet. Since I'm not diabetic, I doubt I really need that. I will keep reading, of course.  And hoping that the indigestion will stop. Anytime, dudes.

154.8 this morning - meh. Here's yesterday:
  • tea with cream
  • greek yogurt with potato starch and honey and strawberries
  • cheese
  • mixed nuts (cashews and almonds primarily)
  • boeuf bourgignon-style pot roast
  • green beans
  • two squares of 85% cacao chocolate
  • 1 tsp honey
I got ambitious last night and made up greek salads with salami for Elizabeth and me for lunch today.  Forgetting that I have a work lunch scheduled. So it will be breakfast or something. Not sure yet. I may hold on to it - if work lunch turns out to be sandwiches, I'll need something.

Sleep last night was insane. I woke up around 3:30 trying to figure out what day it was, but had been so deeply asleep that I was just zombie-stupid and fell back asleep quickly. Again at 5:10, and that was it. The honey worked really quickly last night - I'd not been watching TV, just reading in dark rooms, and once I took it, went back to reading, but only lasted a couple of minutes before I gave that up. I could use a couple more nights like that, though - we had nasty winds on Friday night that made the whole concept a complete wash, so I have a deficit.

Gym tonight. And dinner involving plants of some sort. Along with meat and fat, obviously.

No comments:

Post a Comment