Friday, January 17, 2014

Friday

I think yesterday may win the award for the most stressy mess of a day in a very long time.  I won't say "ever", because I can look back at the post-Hurricane, newborn baby move and war period in Virginia Beach, which may always win for most stress ever.  Nonetheless, here's how yesterday went.

Start with Wednesday night, when Lee got home from a meeting at about 10, reporting that he'd thrown up twice and was not feeling well (!).  He was up much of the night, I guess - I slept through some of it, but not the dogs' needing to get up and go outside at 12:30 am. He was still sick yesterday morning, so I got the world gong and left him in bed as I went to work. 

Around 10 am, I started a migraine - suddenly found myself nearly blind, and it took a minute to realize that it was an aura getting in the way of about half my field of vision.  I grabbed 3 Advil, and had to go to a meeting, where, thankfully, the aura subsided into a fairly dull headache - bearable.

Mid-afternoon, Elizabeth called to say she was headed to the doctor with a sharp pain in her lower right abdomen. By the time I hit the road to come home, she'd seen the doctor and called to say she was en route to the ER, suspecting appendicitis.  I went there instead of home - fortunately, (or not), it turned out to be an ovarian cyst - no surgery, but no relief, either. And home just in time to get on a deployment call for work at 8 pm. That went until 2 am due to problems.

I got a different sleep tracking app yesterday - Sleep Cycle, which seems to be much more sensitive.  It tells me I slept for 2 hours and 47 minutes last night, and that it took about 40 minutes to get to sleep. Not a good night.

Anyway, 157.2 looks just freaking dandy to me this morning. Here's how yesterday shook out in the end:
  • tea with cream
  • supplements (no potassium as we are out, but otherwise, same as yesterday)
  • greek yogurt with about 1 tsp honey
  • bean-free chili - leftover from Tuesday's dinner
  • cheeseburger, no bun
  • 2 french fries (the big kind)
  • 2 squares of 85% cacao chocolate
  • a handful of pecans
I did not take the honey last night. It took a long time to wind down and get to sleep, but I don't know if it would have helped in that situation, and I want to see if it reduces the sugar cravings. Obviously, we didn't make it to the gym last night.

I am starting to track step counts and weight and maybe sleep quality against one another, to see if an increase in walking helps with either of the others. And we are resuming eating breakfast and going to a meat-and-salad pattern for dinners.

Finally, I think I am starting to get rid of some of the really nasty side-effects of my resistant starch experiment. My stomach is just now starting to feel somewhat better - less bloated and backed up. As it should! I'm also working with my feet up today, to see if I can get my ankles to un-swell.

Ugh week.

No comments:

Post a Comment