Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Tuesday

I still feel rather ugh this morning - swollen and sore throughout.  But I did lose 0.9 pounds, and the scale seriously considered making it a round full pound before settling down.  Water.  Inflammation.  Nasty stuff, regardless.

Here's yesterday:
  • strawberries with heavy cream
  • bacon
  • tea with cream
  • the usual (Monday) supplements
  • cheese - 2 pieces
  • two Godiva chocolate pearls
  • two ground beef patties (probably about 1/2 pound total)
  • salad with ham in it; dijon vinaigrette
  • green beans
  • more cheese (we were seriously starving all evening for some reason)

A few odds and ends that are somewhat apropos.  On Saturday, I was at the local REI to buy a second pair of Vibram Fives (I have a small hole in the toe of my Sprints, and now own a pair of black Jayas in the smaller size, and I think they fit better).  I was amazed at the number of people there on the same errand - nearly everyone in the shoe department was at least trying a pair along with other shoes, and I overheard a clerk explaining to a couple of folks that it would take some time to get used to them, that they needed to be patient at first.  Lee says that a couple of the clerks were wearing them - I didn't notice that.  Intriguing that they seem to be catching fire this spring.

I ran across this blog not long ago, courtesy of Gary Taubes' blog, and I really like it.  If I gather the drift in the Paleo world of late, based on the other blogs I read and my twitter feed, it appears that Paleo is de-coupling itself from low-carb, although most of the bloggers seem to admit to a variant called "low-carb Paleo".  Fine by me, that makes me a low-carb Paleo eater, I guess.  Anyway, I am enjoying reading another science-based defender of low-carb eating and ketosis, and am feeling inspired to tighten up the ol' way-of-eating.  So while we were out shopping last night, I picked up a new package of keto-stix, so I could monitor whether or not we are actually achieving ketosis, and found this morning that I'm not - even after a night's fast.  Something to work on.

Another kind of creepy article surfaced on the That Paleo Guy blog - about the effects of statins accompanying a high-fructose diet.  His post also referenced this blog, which goes into a lot of detail on just what happens when a person is having his cholesterol artificially reduced.  And then there was this, from the Fat Head blog.  Reading each of them made me want to rush over to my parents' house and dump any and all statins down the toilet and forbid them from taking any more.  I retweeted a link to one of them, in hopes that Lee might read it and rethink his ongoing consumption of the damn things.  I sincerely hope that this information gets a lot of publicity, and that they stop being so common.

No comments:

Post a Comment