Thursday, June 7, 2012

Some n=1s in progress (recent)

It's that kind of summer, I think.  Did a 10K to keep my daughter company and realized how much I missed doing road races, so plans arose to do more.  Read a couple of blogs with self-experimentation in them, and thought I'd give them a try. 

First, Mark Sisson had a thing earlier this week about cold water immersion.  Supposedly it improves mood.  I can always use a little mood improvement, so I thought I would try to end my showers with a cold blast for a few seconds (or as long as I could stand it - if that improves, maybe I'll do the final hair rinse in cold water or something).  The plan was to start that either yesterday or the day before, but I forgot at least once, maybe twice.  Finally had to restart the shower, this time cold, this morning, just to kick things off.  Am I in a better mood?  I dunno - I'm fairly tired this morning, so it's a bit hard to tell.  If I can get it to be a routine, I should be better able to judge.

Second, I got re-pointed to Seth Roberts' blog this morning by a link from Hunt.Gather.Love and was re-introduced to his findings that standing on one leg to exhaustion several times a day would improve sleep.  Given my state this morning, that one interested me a lot, so I'm going to try it.  I've already done it twice (once each leg) and will shoot for his optimal 4 tries per day with rest time in between.  If it works for me, I will pass it on to the family (who will definitely find the idea very funny).  If the improvements are quick, I might just get them to try it enough to effect some improvements.  We shall see.

No comments:

Post a Comment