Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Well, bother.

I got hungry today mid-day again, and it wouldn't go away.  At 2:30, I succumbed (again, not fasting) and, rather than repeat yesterday's turkey jerky incident, I thought I would go to the "convenience" store on the corner near work and get some cheese or something.

I'd only been in there once before - to grab a Red Bull on a day during the spate of hot flashes when sleep had just been a pipe dream.  And I hadn't really noticed what all they sold, but figured it would be more or less like a truck stop - maybe with a few more normal grocery items.  But snack cheese would be there, right?

Nope.  Cheez-and-crackers, Cheetos, and a single 8 oz package of Kraft cheddar, but nothing more amenable to snacking.  They also had a single package of bologna, and one of bacon.  Oh, and some beef jerky and cans of vienna sausages.  A very few fruit/veggies - onion, garlic, lemons caught my eye.  Other than that, carb-city, baby.  Wow.  And people live in that building, and I think the nearest grocery store is quite a ways away.  Nasty.

I bought a package of almonds, thinking that they were the nut with more Omega 3s than others.  Then I looked up the Omega-3 content of almonds.  5.7 mg per serving, compared with 11.5 full grams of Omega-6 oils.  So if that's as good as nuts get, nuts aren't much good.  I ate them anyway - starvation and all.  I hope they don't make the inflammation worse, but I don't think I'll hold my breath.

No comments:

Post a Comment