Thursday, June 23, 2011

Semi-barefoot walk number 2

There is definitely a transition required between even flat shoes (3/4" heel, I think) and barefoot walking.  At the outset, I do tend to come down hard on my heels and slap my forefoot down.  But a couple of blocks in (I did my 1-mile route today), I can feel things start to smooth out.  I like the improved road sense that I get, walking that way, although it still feels pretty unprotected compared to walking with stiffer shoes.  But good so far, I think.  The moccasins are working out great - not rubbing anywhere painful and not showing undue signs of wear (I would hope not - after a mile and a half!).

The mile took me 16 minutes.  Two traffic lights where I had to stop along the way.  Not particularly close to my old race-walking times (13-ish minutes per mile, generally), but not bad for not exercising much, either.

No comments:

Post a Comment