Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Wednesday

Fasting today.  I certainly like that it's possible to wake up in the morning and realize that I'm just not hungry, and not feel compelled to eat breakfast.  So we didn't.  Lee opted out too, since not cooking at all is much easier than just cooking for himself.  He'll probably eat lunch; I didn't even bring cheese with me to work, so I'm in it for the whole day.  With taco salad for dinner - that's the plan, to use up some of the leaf lettuce in the garden.

The garden is starting to pay off, oh-so-slowly.  I got 3 strawberries out of it last night - all ripe, warm, shiny, and perfectly sweet.  And 3 is a just-right sort of amount - more than a tantalizing taste, but nowhere near a gorge.  And since none of the others were ripe yet, I couldn't have had more, no matter what.  Very paleo, don't you think?  Can't wait until the raspberries ripen...

Had a bunless cheesesteak for dinner last night, with a pickle spear and cottage cheese.  Really good stuff.  Followed by the strawberries, as noted, and some walnuts (not too many; I'm controlling my nut binges better this week), two pieces of salami, and 4 chocolate-covered dried cherries.  I think that was it.  And I'm down a bit more this morning - 145.2 again.

What I need to do is control myself over the weekend; that's where I blow it every time.  Mexican dinner, too much chocolate, cashews, etc., and before you know it, all my losses of the week before are gone.  I think I'll plan on sewing this weekend; that will keep the boredom snacks down, or should.

I got in a walk mid-day the past two days; will try again today.  I have some shoes that are pretty good for walking (while remaining fairly business-like); the ones on today feel fragile, and they're loud when walking on concrete, which is distracting.  I was able to use Google Maps to lay out a route and measure the distance accurately - yesterday's walk was 0.8 miles and I mean to go one block farther on the outbound half today to make it an even mile.  Takes nearly no time to do, and doesn't feel remotely like exercise, although I finish it faster than Google Maps says I will.  That said (doesn't feel like exercise), I had some golly-whomping cramps in one foot last night that I trace back to the walk - these were not potassium-related (they just feel different; I don't know how else to describe it).  I think it's possible that today's walk will repeat that issue; something about the toe-box on working shoes being too narrow for exercise, I think.  Which is pushing me to consider some barefoot shoes - either the low-tech approach (moccasin kit at Hobby Lobby - costs about $20) or something a bit higher-tech (probably Merrells' shells - can't recall exactly what they're called, but they have a Mary-Jane shoe that claims to be barefoot-compatible).  We shall see how things go.

Here's a funny thing I just realized.  We have a vacation coming up in a bit over two weeks, and I know that last summer, I felt compelled to plan out our vacation eating approach.  This year, we both came to the conclusion that we needed a car fridge (lighter plug-in type) so we can bring cheese and salami with us and avoid the truck-stop nuts.  But that's the extent of our planning; it's become second nature to order bunless burgers and salads and steaks at restaurants.  Nice!

No comments:

Post a Comment