Monday, June 20, 2011

Monday

Generally a good weekend; I did what I planned to do and mostly kept the crap-snacking down.   Not perfect; we had a naked burger on Saturday for dinner and it came with fries, and I had a few (and they were really good).  On Sunday, I did have more chocolate cherries than I should have, and a small handful of cashews, but that was it.  142.8 this morning as a result - very nice.  Back in the region I think I should be sticking with, tho' on the high side.

I saw a short article in the paper this morning about children having food allergies (the type that make them swell up and stop breathing) at a rate of 1 in 13.  No idea if that's a higher ratio than in previous years or not, but if it is, I'm sure that it has to do with the upper right corner of "My Plate".  Just sayin'.  And it's interesting that peanuts (a legume) are one of the allergens - could it be the toxins in them that cause the problem?

Made some fresh blue cheese dressing yesterday - this time with real Roquefort cheese.  Oh, my, that's good stuff.  The recipe is so easy (sour cream, mayo, vinegar, garlic powder, celery salt, salt, pepper, blue cheese) that I don't know how the factories make any money selling the bad stuff in the bottles.  I may never buy salad dressing of any sort again - I'm sure there are recipes out there for Thousand Island (Lee's weakness), and I've been making dijon vinaigrette for quite a while now.  I had a side salad one night last week at dinner (in lieu of fries that time) that had a weird gelatinous fake-tasting "blue cheese" dressing with chunks of some mystery substance in it - it was so awful I had to stop eating it.  Weirdly enough, the naked burger in that case (we eat a lot of naked burgers at restaurants) had blue cheese on it - and it was fairly realistic.  Go figure.  Or don't think about it at all, actually; it might lead to uncomfortable conclusions.

I heard from Elizabeth over the weekend that she is still avoiding bread.  I didn't know if she would just bag the whole way of eating once she got on the migraine meds that said not to eat low-carb.  Apparently not, which is definitely a good thing, since she seems to be the most wheat/gluten intolerant of all of us.  But she was at a meeting on Saturday where the only thing to eat was pizza, and because of the crust, she didn't have any, even though she was hungry.  I'm impressed.

Got a few more strawberries from the garden - somehow, they taste fruitier than the bought ones.  I don't really know how to explain it.  And as before, the quantities available were such that I could not binge.  The raspberries, however, are going gangbusters.  They're not ripe yet, but there are a million of them.  Binging on them may be obligatory.

Meatballs with spaghetti sauce this evening for dinner, and pepperoni-based mini pizza thingies one other night this week.  Ummm-good!

No comments:

Post a Comment