Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Additional thoughts

I just read back through my posts since Easter, which is the period in which I put on as much as 6 pounds and bounced around a lot trying to get rid of it, without much success until this past week.    And I'm thinking a couple of things.

First, it would have been more helpful if I'd been consistent at formatting a food log each day, for the previous day.  Just bullet points listing the foods I ate, never mind quantities (unless it was anomalous in some way - then I could say "a lot" or something).

Second, I do think I have been having some struggles with hormones, but I do see us having gone off the wagon a bit over that period - Mexican food shows up a lot, as do cashews, trail mix, and potatoes in various forms.  And I kicked the whole thing off with my week of eating dessert right after Easter.  Which makes me wonder if perhaps Guyenet's theory about food reward may have had some play there - I ate very rewarding food in those helpings of cheesecake and flourless chocolate cake, and it seems like they kicked off a period of mild cravings that I'm just now getting to back off a bit.   Definitely a possibility.

One other thing hit me as I was re-reading things.  The discussion a couple of days ago about the food allergies?  One thing I missed in my quick read was that some significant subset of the children with these life-threatening allergies manifest them as soon as they stop breast-feeding, nearly.  Not sure I would abandon my theory that they're diet-driven, but I wonder if they have to do with Mom's diet in some pre-natal period.  If bad proteins are passing through Mom's gut-blood barrier due to leaky gut, why would they not be passing on to the child in utero and triggering sensitivities to things they subsequently eat?  I'm an amateur, and we rarely sleep at Holiday Inn Express, but that certainly makes some sense to me, given what I've read to date.  What really seems to suck is that these allergies - some of them, anyway, don't seem to clear up.  Although I guess that there aren't any studies using strict Paleo/anti-inflammatory/gut-health eating to see if that doesn't help a great deal.  Someone should do some.

Okay.  Thinking time is over.  I do believe I'll try the bullet list food log thing for a while; see if it's easier to evaluate for patterns over time.

No comments:

Post a Comment