Monday, October 12, 2015

Monday

The weekend was, ... interesting. Probably an increase in stress, and not a lot got done, unfortunately. Lee had a stomach ache the last half of the week that wouldn't go away, and we finally went to a quickie-med on Saturday night to see if it was something serious. Which it was. Diverticulitis. He's had IV antibiotics (I KNEW they still existed!) and a prescription for oral antibiotics and pain meds, and a referral to a gastroenterologist. I guess I'm glad we found it this month, and not next, when the out of pocket expense would have been a lot nastier.

He's not feeling much better yet, and if it doesn't clear up soon, he may find himself in a hospital for a week. Reading up on it, he could end up with something bursting and a case of peritonitis, so it's rather like appendicitis in miniature. No idea what triggered it, or what caused the diverticuli in the first place. I will be reading up on it this week, for sure.

As for me - 155.8 this morning, up from yesterday, although I don't exactly recall what yesterday was - maybe 155 even. Ate pretty well over the weekend, although, because Lee's supposed to eat low-fiber until this clears up (and then high fiber after - and no, that doesn't make sense to me either), and we just got a box of fruit in the mail from our old veterinarians, who miss us, I ate an apple for lunch, just to not waste it. 4 apples and 6 pears, and some cheese. Very nice of them, really. I'll just work through them one every other day or so. Lee also bought a bag of grapes at the grocery store last week, which he has not started eating. I'm not eating those, or if I do, just maybe 5 at a time. I knew when he bought them that he wouldn't eat them; what I didn't know was that he'd have a medical excuse. Sigh.

Here's yesterday:
  • tea with cream
  • 2 sausage patties
  • cashews - 3 handfuls, I think
  • peanuts - 1 or maybe 2 handfuls
  • salami, gouda, and apple slices (lunch)
  • 2 more pieces of Kerrygold cheese
  • 1/4 of a ham steak and a baked sweet potato with butter and sour cream
  • a milk chocolate with almonds
I was trying to emphasize protein, and because we never got dinner on Saturday due to the medical excursion, was super hungry yesterday afternoon. Not at breakfast, but once I ate the sausage, I was starving. Go figure.

Sleep last night was really good. The night before, not so much. I woke up yesterday morning around 3:30 for the day. It happens. Got out to do shopping yesterday, but didn't get much else done, except a pot of chicken stock in the oven. Supposedly bone broth/gelatin are good for diverticulitis, so now we have a lot. I don't know if it will gel or not - it's still in the fridge and hasn't been packaged up - but I'm hoping so, considering the state of the carcases and skin I pulled out of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment