Thursday, March 21, 2013

Eating plan for late spring(ish) 2013

I want to give a good college try to getting rid of the roughly 10 pounds I've regained; it's not that I'm fat - most of my clothes still fit, as a matter of fact, but I need to stop the trend.

I think when I started this whole thing it was definitely aimed at low-carb and achieving Ketosis.  So it makes sense that I should stick with what works and go there again.  A few things I recall:
  • I tried very hard to eliminate sugar.  Not always successful, but key.  That said, I did indulge in dark chocolate.
  • I used Kurt Harris' 12 steps and got pretty far down them.
  • I did more tea-with cream, I think.  Also butter on things like meat.
  • Less stressful, I eliminated grains.
  • I had things like turkey sausage in lieu of eggs at breakfast
  • Possibly less bacon on "just me" days - actually in reviewing the 50-pound loss, I ate mostly turkey bacon.  weird.

After reading through the entire blog from Mayish through February, I would tend to say that I cooked at home a lot, worked pretty hard to avoid Mexican, and really shied away from true dessert foods a lot harder than I have of late.  It doesn't appear that I ate as high-fat as I thought I had, but was more careful to avoid carbs in general at restaurants and on travel, etc.  More IFing than I recalled, too.  And I was better at portion control on cheats, like the 1-a-day Christmas cookies.

So, going forward: 
  • Stop with the sugar already - especially for the remainder of this and next week.
  • Eat more at dinner and aim to be satisfied before calling dinner done.  Fewer and better snacks (e.g., olives, macadamias, veg-and-dip, etc)
  • Keep the starchy carbs to maybe one or two days per week, max.
  • One of those instances can be an apple, but not both; go for berries over other fruit again.
  • Start picking up the free weights around the house and carefully begin with arm work.  Do NOT re-mess-up the shoulder.
  • Find some way to work up into squats - maybe just lie on the floor and lift my feet up from a squatty position to start with.  Something.
  • Cut out french fries and potato chips and home fries altogether for the immediate future.  Potato salad can be one of the starchy carbs.  Probably rice is the other - in stuffed peppers, for example.  But not a lot at any given time.
  • Get back into true IFing.  Dinner to dinner, probably the best pattern for me.
  • But eat the gram of salt - get back to having bouillon or something, either at work or at home.  See if I can keep the leg cramps at bay.
  • Revisit some of the food I ate regularly back then - flank steak (haven't had one in a while), burgers with cheese and guac and bacon, frozen or sliced strawberries with cream on top, occasional cottage cheese, Lindt 85% dark chocolate (after Easter, anyway).
  • Keep the walnuts and cashews portion-controlled - in a container.  And not every night.
  • Eat the pickled things that are in the cupboard - the okra, my homemade pickles (fermented), olives, etc.  I just finished the dilly beans we bought at the Olive place in Phoenix, and wish I had more.
  • Cheese in small portions - one piece at a time.

This seems doable - and I'm feeling some excitement about it.  Starting today, since I skipped breakfast and have had about 4 macadamias and the dilly beans to eat so far today.  Planning roast chicken and salad for dinner.  With sliced strawberries and cream for dessert.  And no snacks.

No comments:

Post a Comment