Thursday, May 24, 2012

Thursday

Um.  Inspiration feeling a bit dried up this morning, although I slept well enough last night, and am alert.  Focused, actually - very focused.  Got new glasses on the way home from work last night, and they are fabulous at crisping up the distance.  Close up, they're reminding me that I'm 50, just a bit.  The optometrist recommended I keep my old glasses for close work, or just remove them. 

Ate fairly well yesterday - we finally did the pork chops, and I must say a 50-50 mix of maple syrup and dijon mustard tastes way awesome on pork.  I will do that again and again and again.  Also made a quick pot of Southern-style green beans, and had some sliced avocado (we all did, even the dogs).  The scale is liking things at the moment - 147.2 this morning, so the nasty figure from Monday is expunged, well and truly.  Here's yesterday in detail:
  • strawberries and cream
  • cheese
  • bacon
  • tea with cream
  • the usual supplements
  • cheese
  • beef jerky
  • a very few Godiva pearls
  • pork chop as described above
  • Southern-style green beans
  • avocado with a bit of balsamic vinegar on
  • walnuts
  • strawberry ice cream
I was listening to an Econ Talk podcast about food this morning on the drive in, and the guest irritated me by first mischaracterizing the Paleo way of eating (fruits ok, veggies must be avoided - yeah, right.  and he pronounced it "pal" ee-o, with a short "a".), and then dismissing it.  He was sanctimoniously "more vegetarian" in order to avoid factory farmed beef.  Cows also produce climate-changing methane, didja know?  Ye Gods!  The host, who has been eating either Paleo or low-carb since a chat with Taubes a while back, was exceedingly patient and polite.  And if you could get over the guest's attitude of "Mexican food supply chain results in tastier food than in America, and I've never been food-poisoned there, so America kinda-sorta sucks," it was pretty interesting.  Said guest also thinks that any restriction of one's intake options at all will result in weight loss - limit choice, the person gets bored, and eats less.  It would be interesting to throw him and Guyenet in a room to discuss a diet consisting solely of the crap in vending machines; I think they'd see things differently.

I am happy to report that my recovery from the walk of the other day was completed by noon or so yesterday - at least, I didn't notice any residual stiffness after that point, and the aches of Tuesday night did not interfere with sleep last night.  All good, I'd say.

No comments:

Post a Comment