Thursday, May 10, 2012

Thursday

I am getting so used to the auto-correct feature in iOS (and Word, really), that I started today by typing a "t" in the title block and waiting.  It did not turn into "Thursday"; it didn't even turn into "T".  What's up with that?  I have to shift for myself?  How antique.

Sleep remains problematic; I woke at 1 am thinking it must be nearly 4 or 5.  All I can figure is that the thermal cues that wake one up are wonky in me right now.  Backwards, truly.  I start getting warmer at 1 am, and when the alarm goes off, I'm generally in a fetal position with my head under the covers, trying to warm up.  I read some stuff about the mechanism behind hot flashes yesterday, and apparently, the hypothalamus gets fooled by erratic hormonal signaling into thinking I'm too hot, and it reacts by widening my blood vessels near the skin's surface, and kicking off a cooling cycle (i.e., sweat).  But if it can be fooled into thinking I'm too hot, it seems also able to be fooled into thinking I'm not cold.  At least, in my case.  So the struggle continues.  I got right back to sleep once I'd checked the time, and may have been slightly awake at some point between then and the alarm going off, but it was in the "could be worse" bucket, and I feel fairly normal today, always nice.

The scale said 147.4 this morning.  No real surprise; I was always going to pay for the fries.  Here's yesterday:
  • scrambled eggs
  • bacon
  • tea with cream
  • the usual supplements
  • cheese
  • possibly a few Godiva Pearls
  • bratwurst
  • sausage with pineapple and bacon in it - not bad, but not quite what I had in mind for dinner
  • sauerkraut (homemade - and darn good, if I do say so)
  • salad with blue cheese dressing
  • two pieces of bark (I made it with 70% chocolate and it's absolutely tasteless; I was going for energy)
  • walnuts
  • two or three chocolate cherries
Since I keep feeling mildly yucky these days, I'm considering adding a multivitamin to the mix - it's always possible that I'm missing the odd nutrient here or there.  I feel like I ought to be eating more veggies - Spring is well underway, and they should be more available.  Our mesclun mix in the garden is just starting to approach an edible size - and I'd better be on my toes in that respect, because we have a lot of rabbits in the neighborhood just now.  They are munching in other areas of the yard, generally, which doesn't bother me at all, but if they head for the garden, I will start having visions of "casserole du lapin".  Not that we would actually do anything like that.  I think it's illegal, and we don't have a rabbit gun.

We are still getting eggs from one of Lee's co-workers.  Backyard chickens with blue and green and brown eggs with lurid yellow yolks and very little whites.  They have to be good for us, right?  Well, at least, the chickens are eating what they're meant to eat, meaning we're eating what we're meant to eat in the eggs.  I think that's what Paleo boils down to for me - eating things that are as natural as can be obtained, with as little interference in them as possible.  And avoiding places that kick piglets - apparently a pork producer in Wyoming had that going on, in a horrible squalid breeding operation.  I guess I'm going to have to start hunting down properly farmed pork.

No comments:

Post a Comment