Monday, August 23, 2010

August 23rd

157.0 this morning, after a weekend that was fairly food-filled.  Not bad.  I have some sort of digestive upset going on just now - not sure what, just yet, but it involves a stomach ache of sorts.  Anyway, I'm crediting the addition of the heavy cream with the weight loss this week; I do think that was the key, and maybe has been all along.  And in the time since we bought it, I still haven't consumed an entire pint of it - including not just adding it to tea twice a day, but pouring it over sliced strawberries (also amazingly good).

I'm still having trouble getting over the salt-water solicitation from my family member.  I went to the trouble of web-searching the terms she suggested after I gently turned down the original solicitation, and saw nothing that would change my mind.  Then I searched for studies done on the efficacy of the salt water itself, and there are none - the product website says something like they're "not needed."  Well, I would agree that it's unlikely that salt-water in small doses will not kill anyone, but they are making claims backed only by anecdotal evidence - and who knows who is generating the anecdotes. 

One of the reasons I'm so sold on this way of eating is that it IS backed by studies - more of them each day, despite the fact that the funding is all on sustaining the SAD.  While I liked the initial results, I think it was Taubes who really sold this to me - he did such an amazing job of digging through mouldering piles of research and distilling what he found (yeah, right - "distilling" it into an 800-page book...).  Well, whatever.  It still makes sense, and continues to answer the nutritional questions I put to it.  So we'll be eschewing the salt water.

No comments:

Post a Comment