Thursday, March 12, 2015

Thursday

At some point this week, Mark Sisson made an offhand remark in his blog that he found sprinting to be really effective for performance improvement or muscle growth or something. So last night, after I found that I wasn't going to be doing my second mile at anything approaching Sunday's pace, I thought I would try a few short sprints - just 1 side of the oval track that we walk indoors on. I did 4 of them, and the 4th was short of the length I'd achieved on the others. I wouldn't say I enjoyed them, but I was surprised at how fast I could run, and how well I had adapted to Vibrams for running, considering I don't run. Didn't think much about it after that.

As of this morning, I can say that sprinting is really effective for something - my hamstrings and quads and ankles are all really stiff, as are a few key core muscles. Crazy.  

158.8 this morning, probably partly because of that stiffness. Here's yesterday:
  • tea with cream
  • the usual supplements
  • scrambled eggs
  • bacon
  • pulled pork BBQ with cole slaw
  • macadamia nuts
  • 2 pieces of cheddar cheese
  • salad with ham, chicken, cheese, and a vinaigrette dressing (out of blue cheese)
  • walnuts
  • 2 sugar easter egg candies
That was it. Not too great, really. And obviously, I don't usually eat lunch, so that probably didn't help.

Sleep was kind of meh. Woke up shortly after midnight, again after 1, and then slept until 4:30. I was able to go back to sleep each time, but it was choppy and I didn't have the really long stretch like I've had the rest of the week. I don't know if it was because my legs hurt or what, although I took aspirin at bedtime specifically for that.

On my own this evening. I'll feed the dogs and maybe do a walk outside. For reals, my new Vibrams are supposed to arrive today, so maybe I can try them out.

No comments:

Post a Comment