Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Tuesday

That's weird.

I thought I heard something this morning on the radio about a change in guidelines on whole milk for children - no substance, just a part of a headline, heard over the hum of the toothbrush.  I checked Google just now - odd how it's become the source of all information these days - and see nothing with a recent date on it; stories from January about the USDA banning the substance from school lunches (idiots), but nothing more recent than that.  So either our local radio station is way behind (and it might have been WSJ's news thing), or I was hallucinating.  That seems unlikely, too.  Maybe something will surface later.

We had a boffo dinner yesterday, although we both came away from it with some stomach symptoms, so it may have involved flour somewhere.  I had an 11-oz sirloin, medium rare (interesting how eating Paleo makes you crave less-cooked meat), topped with sauteed mushrooms (may have been some flour involved there), a sweet potato with butter and sour cream, and country style green beans with bacon.  Left me so satisfied that I didn't eat another bite until breakfast.  The waitress was a bit surprised about what I wanted on my sweet potato - seems that if a vegetable is already a bit sweet, what you need to do is add sugar.  Um, no.  Fat - and plenty of it.

I was actually interested to see if eating that meal would have any effect on my getting to sleep last night - after reading Chris Masterjohn's blog on Getting Better Sleep, I wondered if adding carbs to dinner would help me.  I was sleepy at bedtime, but once I hit horizontal, my mind went into overdrive, and I ended up resorting to my one-hour playlists on my iPod - old radio shows or historic news shows.  They do work - and the change I made to set up playlists of just one hour seem to let me sleep better after - I used to put on my "WWII News" playlist - with a duration of 2-3 days - and let it go all night, and while it put me to sleep, the sleep was not so great.

Our current "bedroom" (the dining room, while we're redoing the master bath) is darker than our actual bedroom, which should be helping - and maybe it is.  It's warmer, though, and doesn't have a ceiling fan, and that has been causing me problems at night.  I am sleeping better than I was a few weeks ago, and darn grateful for it, but not as well as I slept last year.  So I'm still working on that.  Lee is trying to convince me to do full curtains for the bay window in the bedroom - I've had them only on the bottom 3/4 for years, in order to get the light cues from sunrise.  I'm trying to figure out if we can get something that would close in the evening, then open itself around 4 am, very quietly.  Probably not. 

142.4 this morning, I believe, so some of the carb water has gone.  Also of note regarding weight.  I think I'm still shuffling body comp these days - I measured myself for some pants I ordered over the weekend (more clothes don't fit), and my hips have lost 1/2", I think.  No weight change associated with it, they're just thinner.  Fine by me.


No comments:

Post a Comment