Thursday, March 10, 2011

Thursday

Weird eating day yesterday.  I ended up eating the two cheese snacks fairly early in the morning, had nothing for lunch, and then, in the spirit of Ash Wednesday, decided not to eat meat for dinner.  What I had instead:
  • Microwave popcorn
  • Cheese - both aged Gouda and sliced Cheddar
  • Dried Coconut strips - plain and with dark chocolate
I think that's it.  It didn't do much to either my weight or the calf cramps of the night before - I am still feeling some fasciculation now, after getting up and having breakfast, although I must admit I didn't have to leap out of bed last night to stomp anything out.  Note that we ran out of pill-form potassium and I hadn't replaced it until dinnertime last night, so that's probably contributing.  Weight this morning is 142.0.

I'm wearing the green skirt I made last fall - the one I'd messed up and made too small back then.  It needs to be taken in around the hips.  The other day, I had on my black chinos, size 12, and at one point, thought I'd had a mix-up while getting dressed and inadvertently put on a pair of size 16 chinos in navy blue that I still have in the closet.  Actually had to check the size, because they're suddenly too long and baggy.  There are worse problems to have, I know, but it seems to indicate that my body comp is still changing. 

I was doing more research for Elizabeth and her vertigo yesterday and ran into the Cooling Inflammation blog.  He has an entry on migraines that matches what I am trying to do with her diet, nice to see.  He also mentioned feverfew, I believe, and vagus nerve stimulation, which I'm not sure she'd go for, since the easiest described method involves putting a bag of ice on her face from scalp to nose while she's simultaneously holding her tongue relaxed in a mouthful of warm spit.  While I was searching, I saw a bunch of other blog entries mentioning that magnesium shortage is common in migraines, and supplementing with bio-available magnesium (citrate or malate, I believe) can often have good results.  So I sent Lee out to hunt both of those things down for her.  I know medicine is not an exact science and the body is a very complex system, but I wish there was another way to figure out what's going on with her and get it to stop - other than relying on my ability to perform internet searches, I mean.  Not that I'll stop, but it does seem sometimes that the doctors are locked into thought patterns and aren't really paying attention to reality on the ground.  For that reason, I guess, thank God for the internet.

No comments:

Post a Comment