Monday, March 7, 2011

Monday

The weather today is nasty - freezing drizzle, that forced me to drive to work with the heat turned to max and the defroster running, just to be able to see where I was going.  Supposedly the roads were slick - traffic reports indicated huge numbers of spin-outs and flips, but they seemed fine to me, and nobody going my direction on the freeway appeared to be having any issues.  We're in for a couple of days of it, apparently, and then we will be returning to our regularly-scheduled weather.

Fairly quiet weekend - especially compared to last week!  I got out and pruned the raspberries and cut down the dead asparagus foliage; they and the strawberries and blueberries all seem to be surviving so far, and we are starting to see some bulbs emerge.  We bought a couple of recliners (such an odd thing to say in a casual fashion, but that's roughly how it fell out), since I mentioned to Lee that I'd nearly gone out to buy one on Thursday evening, causing him to light up - he'd been wanting one as well.  So we got two of them, and both spent a good bit of the weekend enjoying time with our feet elevated.  Finally, I had a massage yesterday, and got rid of a couple of nasty bits - the pain in my right shoulder has subsided, and she found and stretched out some issues with my left ilio-psoas muscles that were probably aggravated by all the standing we did on the float last weekend.  I need to stretch more in that area - and should probably become an "upstanding citizen" as the Hunter-Gatherer blog has termed it.

The improvements from the massage let me sleep nearly the night through last night - I think I first stirred around 4:45 am.  So, what I'm finding with regard to the hot flashes is, if I'm otherwise occupied (busy with something, or deep asleep), either I don't notice them, or they don't happen.  If not, they come on in gangs.  Interesting.  The abstention from alcohol doesn't seem to have done much - I guess, if nothing else, not drinking makes me sleep deeper, maybe.  Anyway, this is the first day in about 3 weeks that I haven't woken up in a state of abject exhaustion, and it was very nice.

We ate pretty well this weekend, sorta - apart from Friday dinner at La Loma, where I had a chile relleno.  Very tasty, and I could tell the next morning that it included wheat flour.  Not for regular consumption, obviously.  Saturday, I had some bacon and most of a pound of strawberries sliced up with heavy cream.  Lovely!  Another thing that I wouldn't do every day, but when they're ripe (and these were), worth it.  Lunch was hotdogs (and a few potato chips), and dinner was stuffed peppers, which included rice.  Yesterday breakfast was some scrambled eggs with stuff in them (bacon, mushrooms, scallions, tomatoes) and bacon; no lunch, but several hunks of aged gouda; and Irish stew for dinner - something Lee found at Costco. 

The end result?  I was at 143.6 both yesterday and this morning - a fine weight.  Nice to see that a mild increase in reasonable carbs didn't really do much to add weight.

Lee's to be gone much of the coming week; not sure what I'll be eating, although it will, apparently, involve bratwurst, since I'd started thawing some before I knew about the Irish stew.  Also something made of ground beef - have a half-pound (bison, actually) left over from the peppers.  No idea what to do about breakfast - maybe the cheese option will work.  Guess we'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment