Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Tuesday

I was right yesterday - I wasn't done.  Up to 144.4 this morning, and betting that it's all water, based on the way my fingers and feet feel this morning.  Lee says he's up 5 pounds since last week - no real surprise since he was traveling, and it's just hard to eat well on the road.  That, and he's probably equally swollen from the parade "workout". 

I'm more interested in getting the water weight gone for the reduction in pain than I am in getting the numbers to be different right now - which is telling me that we need to start hitting the gym.  I got a book about a week ago that goes into variations on five weight-bearing exercises for strength conditioning - one is the deadlift, and I cannot recall the others (probably squats are in there, maybe pushups or something like that).  Anyway, I mean to take a look at that again tonight and start working on getting deadlift form right with my tiny 4- or 8-lb barbells at home, with the goal of being able to do one correctly with a kettlebell at the gym (I'm fairly sure they have them).  That, and I think I'll use the machines for crunches and quads/hamstring work, at least to start.  If this goes as planned, I'll probably start gaining weight but losing body fat.  We shall see.  Getting stronger is the important part.

We hit the local BBQ joint for dinner last night - Lee had ribs and slaw, and I had turkey and slaw.  A pound of turkey.  Ordering just a pound of turkey gets me some odd looks from the waitresses there, but it's the easiest way to get what I want without having to un-order things.  I got slaw last night because Lee's ribs came with 2 sides, and he just got slaw for both of us.

Late last week, I ran into this article on Mark's Daily Apple, about a two-phase sleep pattern possibly being more natural for humans.  It was very comforting, since I've spent the last 20 years (approximately) waking up at least once a night, and then stressing out about getting back to sleep.  After reading that, I don't think I'll bother stressing out anymore - I'll just make use of the wakeful hour in some way, and fall back to sleep when I need to.

No comments:

Post a Comment