Monday, March 14, 2011

Changing the lights

Just read a post in Mark's Daily Apple about the effects of light on sleep quality.  Given that I'm struggling with sleep issues right now, I think a couple of changes are in order:
  • I am going to install f.lux on my computer - I don't use it that much at night, but don't want that to get in the way of sleep.  And if it works, I'll send the info to Elizabeth, who uses movies on her laptop to help get to sleep at night (that can't be working all that well...)
  • I am going to throw something over the face of my alarm clock.  I love my clock radio - it's a Sangean digital atomic clock repeater that resets itself to match the correct time, and gives me the option to vary my wakeup alarm (or not have one) daily.  But the display is bright blue - even when turned down all the way.  If blue light at night says "daytime" to my system, then that clock is throwing me out of kilter every time my eyes flutter.  I'm mildly addicted to knowing what time it is when I wake up at night, but maybe not having a blue glow in the room will make that less of an issue.  Worth a shot - and with Lee out of town for the moment, I have a chance to experiment for a bit.
If my n=1 on either of these seems to bear fruit, I'll post.

No comments:

Post a Comment