Wednesday, September 22, 2010

September 22nd

Down another 0.2 pounds today - I can remember back in May and June and July when it was coming off at a rate of about 1.5 pounds every other day.  But there was a lot more of it to lose then.  As things stand now, I'm about 1.5 pounds away from being roughly 25% bodyfat, which is pretty amazing.  Had a few moments of the bubbly sensation in my calves this morning early, so I suspect that tonight will be a bad sleeping night.  Hopefully, I'm wrong, though.

I read somewhere the other day some speculation that what makes vegans feel so good when they first start that way of eating is the fact that they simply cannot consume enough calories to sustain life, so their bodies start burning their fat, and the initial feeling of well-being is actually the result of a "diet" high in saturated animal fat (their own).  Makes sense to me.  And I tend to wonder if that's what allows some very low-fat diets to work adequately for a while if they are low in insulinogenic foods.  But I'm not an expert by any means.  I know what works for me, and this is it.  There are days when bread would be convenient (like Saturday to sop up the snail butter - and I had some), and days when I have a vague desire for junk food like M&Ms.  But those days aren't very frequent, and the desires aren't usually strong enough to make me do anything about them.  And I just feel so much better eating this way that it would be sheer stupidity for me to stop.  It has freed me from what was almost a slavery to junk food, and I'm so grateful.  It has made it possible for me to spend a weekend at a wine festival and eating out a lot, all the while knowing that it wouldn't be a weight-gain experience.  Really amazing.  And astonishing that this is basically unknown to most of the population.  I hope Taubes' new book takes off like a rocket - I know I'll be buying one.

No comments:

Post a Comment