Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Wednesday

Rain overnight and snow this morning - May in Denver, what can I say?  It was only sticking a little - to the grass, fortunately, not the trees.  And it's probably back raining by now.

The mystery hormonal water weight is going away, finally - 143.8 this morning, which is more like what I would have expected after Easter, in a hormone-free world.  I'm okay with this turn of events - as long as it isn't a cycle; I do NOT want to go through another six weeks of hot flashes, thank you very much.  I'm enjoying those full nights of sleep right now - and marveling at how many of them I seem to need, badly, at day's end.  Another Paleo benefit, I guess, and after 20-odd years of insomnia, it still thrills me.

We had a boffo dinner last night - more or less randomly.  Neither of us could identify any specific hungers at dinner time - we just wanted food.  So we drove toward Old Town and Lee noticed that Bella Bistro's parking lot wasn't packed.  I think we have been there once or twice since it opened, and in the very early days.  Since then, it's usually full up and we drive past and go to another restaurant.  Anyway, we have now been there twice or three times.  This time, sitting at the counter where we could watch the chefs at work.  Lee had pork tenderloin with fingerling potatoes and sauteed baby spinach; I had beef shoulder tenders (no idea what cut of meat "beef shoulder" might be, but it was good) with polenta and sauteed broccoli, carrots, and turnips.  We pretty much licked our plates - these after an amazing Caesar salad with truffled cheese on it - and then had dessert.  Mine was gelato in three flavors: strawberry-peppercorn, basil, and cheese-balsamic (I cannot recall the type of cheese, but it's an Italian form of cream cheese with a very common name, dammit).  The basil was a bit odd - think mint-chocolate chip with health-food-store overtones and no chocolate.  The other two were amazing.  Lee had "Italian Snickers Cheesecake".  We rolled out of there and went home.  I wish I could say we had nothing more to eat that night, but one of us had some cashews.

Eggs and Turkey Bacon this morning; no snacks all day (that's the plan), and I'm-not-sure-what for dinner.  Watching the chef last night was inspiring, though - and he was very forthcoming with what things were when we asked, so I have the recipe for the sauce that came with the pork last night - red wine vinegar and sugar in equal parts, simmered down to a syrup, tomato sauce from a can added, and a bit of red wine demiglace to finish it up.  Once I got the list, I realized that what he had was more or less ketchup, just a very gourmet version.  The beef had the red wine demiglace by itself - which was perfect.

It wasn't strictly Paleo, but it wasn't far off, either - you really can eat very well this way.

No comments:

Post a Comment