Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Tuesday

Well, that's a bit better - a pound gone and back to 145.2.  I stayed pretty strict yesterday; eggs and (real) bacon for breakfast, two cheese snacks during the day, some cheese (maybe 3 oz) before dinner.  Dinner was ground beef patties and mushrooms sauteed in butter and finished with a beef stock and red wine reduction, and a salad.  and I had 6 chocolate almonds and 3 chocolate blueberries after dinner.  I think that was it.  Could be worse.  I spent the evening sewing, which really helped me avoid boredom eating.

I did have a leg cramp overnight - in my right leg, this time, for what that's worth.  It got me up and stomping rather quickly - no idea what time it was, and I got back to sleep pretty easily afterward.  But ouch!

There's been an increase lately in bloggers being anti-low-carb Paleo over the past 2 weeks or so - both Don Matesz (Primal Wisdom) and Stephan Guyenet (Whole Health Source) have come out with variations on the same theme.  I'm not sure what to make of it; I think Taubes made a very strong case in his books that processed carbs, grains in particular, cause weight gain, or are very closely correlated with it, and my n=1 experience would bear that out.  Guyenet, though, in his post from over the weekend, seems to be saying that, while low-carb works for weight loss, those who lose weight that way are barred from ever eating carbs again, or the weight will all come back.  I can't say that I've seen that - but I can say that eating flour and corn do impact my weight in a bad way.  Potatoes, not so much.  Sweet potatoes appear to be fine.  Other veggies the same.  As well as strawberries, and nuts, for the most part.  The jury is out on rice, but I don't really like rice all that much anyway.

That would lead me to say (again) that we are mammals.  If we eat seasonally, and adopt whole foods rather than things-in-boxes, and avoid grains and grain-based foods as a poor source of energy for what would have been the effort entailed to gather them, we will probably see some weight gain in late summer to help us through the winter when food is less available.  That seems reasonable, and that's a way of eating I can embrace.  It still is pretty low carb by comparison to the SAD.

It will be interesting to see how their arguments develop, and what evidence surfaces.  I think we'll get the proper diet(s) for humans figured out eventually; we may not be there just quite yet.  In the meantime, I'll stick with what I've been doing for the last year, because it's certainly working for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment