Monday, May 9, 2011

Monday

Ugh.  Swollen from head to toe.  My wedding ring is tight.  My shoes are tight.  My too-big skirt fits better than it used to.  And, worst of all, 146.4 this morning. 

I think it's hormonal.  Menopause not quite done with me, and those hormones have made me swell up like a balloon before - on our big-family cruise a couple of years ago, they gave me cankles - my lower legs swelled up so much that they hurt.  I hope it's all water, but I'm going to be a bit careful with food this week and see if I can get things back to normal.

Did a lot of gardening over the weekend, which also has contributed its mite to the overall inflammation, I think.  On Saturday, I planted 8 tomato plants, 4 bell peppers, 3 cucumbers, and a canteloupe (hope springs eternal).  We ate pretty well all weekend - at home for all of it, for me, at least.  I did have popcorn on Saturday - still not entirely sure why I wanted it so badly, but I did.  Some days you just need to listen to your body.  I'm guessing in this case, it was hormonal carb cravings.

I had a 2-hour massage Saturday afternoon for Mother's Day.  Spent the entire 2 hours talking Paleo with the therapist, who is doing Primal Blueprint.  She had just started, and was astonished at my muscular development, especially when I confessed that we think about the gym a lot, but don't go.  Apparently, the strength gains I thought I'd had from this way of eating are real.  Cool!  And she passed on to me that the Sunflower Market nearest our house sells Elk, which is also cool.  I mean to go check that out one of these days.

We bought a coconut over the weekend and cracked it open yesterday morning.  Our dogs thought it was a new toy and were very excited - but not at all interested in the contents once we got them out.  I used to eat coconut that way as a kid, but don't recall it being as oily as this one was - my hands were covered with coconut oil once I got the meat out of the shell.  I didn't waste it, either - my arms got a good coat of it before we went to work outside.  So no sunburn for me.

Got the front patio all set up for the new season.  I mean to spend a lot of time out there this summer - and that also means that it's about time to switch over to 1000 IU of D3 from the 5000 we've been taking all winter.  Probably do that some time this week.

What else?  It was a very productive weekend.  I also made mayonnaise, from MD Eades' recipe, here.  And turned that into blue cheese dressing, using this recipe.  Absolutely delicious, and no nasty soybean oil.  And I'm making sauerkraut, I hope.  Started that yesterday.  An entire head of cabbage should leave us with rather a lot, I think - but not too much to get through.

No comments:

Post a Comment