Monday, January 10, 2011

Monday

So, what did I weigh on Friday?  I don't think I gained over the weekend, despite buying a "medium" (not!!!) popcorn on Friday and eating most of it.  I'm at 146.6 this morning - was 146.0 on Saturday, 146.2 yesterday, and that with eating generally pretty well all weekend.  I have noticed that carb bombs seem to provoke a delayed weight gain in me - maybe not the next morning, but two days out and beyond, I'll see increases, which doesn't play well with the wallet metaphor in Taubes' new book, at least not exactly. 

Had a pretty good dinner last night - pan-cooked two sirloin patties, then sauteed mushrooms in the drippings (not much; these are pretty lean) and some added ghee.  Topped that off with some merlot and beef stock, which I reduced down a goodish bit and finished with butter.  The dogs got some of the sauce, because it was still too much for one person.  I would definitely do that again - must keep mushrooms available, I guess.

At the movies on Friday (True Grit - amazingly good, by the way), we saw an ad for something heartrending and disgusting all at the same time - A&E's new show, "Heavy".  Apparently, it's "The Biggest Loser" without the contest.  The ad showed these poor people being made to do aerobic exercise and crying about how hard it was to stay on the diet.  My first reaction was to drop my bag of popcorn on the ground and forget I'd bought it, but sense prevailed - unlike the "experts" on that show (from what I could tell in maybe a 5-minute snippet, anyway), I do know how to eat to stay slender, and the popcorn "weight" would be vanquished in due course.  Still, if the weightloss advice those folks are getting is to eat a "sensible low-fat diet" and exercise, I can't help thinking that a 5-year reunion show would find many of them back where they started, or on the way there.

I could be wrong - maybe they've had an endocrinology workup and are eating a sensible low-carb diet with reasonable helpings of healthy saturated fat.  It would be great if that were true - and I tend to doubt that it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment