Friday, January 14, 2011

Friday

On the brink of a three-day weekend here - it's always nice to look forward to a long stretch of puttering time.  I think I'll cook to freeze, a bit.  I realized yesterday, in re-reading the recipe, that Cooks Illustrated's recipe for "quick" beef-vegetable soup is basically low-carb, verging on paleo.  It has carrots in it, along with mushrooms and onions, and I think not a lot else (well, beef, obviously).  It's also beyond delicious, and I think it would freeze pretty well - and I'm coming home very uninspired to cook these on-my-own days.  I may go to the odd bookstore this weekend after some low-carb cookbooks - see what's out there - and I'm looking forward to the release of the Everyday Paleo cookbook, even though she appears to be higher-carb than I tend to eat.

Yesterday was a prime example of the dangers of "uninspired to cook".  I went out to a Mexican restaurant that Lee doesn't like, but that I believe I've been patronizing (via other branches) since I was in my mid-20s.  Had a 3-stack flat cheese enchilada with green chile - so far, so good, and their green chile appears not to be overburdened with flour; the broth is very translucent.  But I ate a LOT of chips with salsa (and with the leftover green chile and a bit of refried beans...).  So I think that was a pretty carb-loaded meal.  It was quite tasty, though.  And on coming home, I didn't eat anything else until bedtime.

Of course, the carbs at dinner had no impact on my lingering side-effect - leg cramps.  In last night's case, foot cramps.  Some of the symptoms were more like my old-style cramps in my feet, with toes randomly shooting off at weird angles and things, so I'm not entirely sure they were related to my potassium levels.  Nonetheless, I limped into the kitchen (these hurt a lot!) and had some coconut water, and while it didn't sort the issue instantly, they went away pretty quickly and didn't come back.  I really like that stuff!

At the end of all that fun, I got up this morning and weighed 144.4.  I expect it will be more tomorrow, despite a convenience IF day today (didn't feel like getting up early enough to eat).

No comments:

Post a Comment