Friday, January 21, 2011

Friday (at least, it had better be)

World's. Longest. Week.

Until the week containing Presidents' Day and our trip to New Orleans to participate in a Mardi Gras krewe, that is.  That will be a two-day workweek that lasts approximately a millennium.  More on planning how to survive that weekend as it gets closer, too.  Anyway, to nutrition.

Fasted with relative ease yesterday, until I got home.  I ended up not eating marinated flank steak; I just did not want to cook.  Instead, I had a slice of cheddar to tide me over, fed the dogs, and went and ate cheese enchiladas with green chile (probably containing flour, absolutely containing seed oils), corn tortilla chips, and salsa.  It tasted quite good - I almost licked the plate, actually, and I finished the chips, which I really shouldn't have.

Came home, finished up the non-dark chocolate assortment (4 of them), ate more cheese and walnuts.  I was on a tear - stress eating, I'm pretty sure.  As a result, I'm at 144.4 this morning, and glad it wasn't worse.  And all things considered, the stress eating wasn't all that bad - think what it could have been - cookies, crackers, lots more sugar and flour, chips (oh, yeah, it did include chips, didn't it?)...  But I guess I need to do a little thinking about how to handle it the next time I need to do it, since I've been a stress eater for a long time.  Probably omit the enchilada run and the chips and salsa, and the milk chocolates, and I'd be okay. 

Read some rather amazing things yesterday about using coconut oil to halt and sometimes reverse the effects of Alzheimer's (also other neurological degradation diseases like epilepsy and MS).  Apparently the Medium Chain Triglycerides (MCTs) in coconut oil are turned directly into ketone bodies by the liver or kidneys.  I think, although none of us is exhibiting signs of any neurological degradation, that we are going to put more coconut in our diets.  Maybe via coconut milk or whole coconuts - I used to love those as a kid.  Or maybe that gives me an excuse to make more of the "paleo candy" I made before Christmas - unsweetened dried coconut in dark chocolate.  There's some good stress-eating food for you.  Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment