Monday, April 20, 2015


I think I maybe just need to stop exercising.

Did a "5K" on Saturday - heaven knows it felt like a full 3.1 miles to me, but my GPS-fed Nike Running app said it was 2.84 miles. If it was 3.1 miles, my 40:37 was a 13:10 pace. At 2.84 miles, it was a 14:17 pace. Either way, pretty fast for a 5K these days, so I won't complain. And it came with the requisite stiffness and aches afterward.

What I will complain about is that before the race, I weighed 158.2. Sunday morning, 160.4. And again this morning. I mean, really? More than 2 pounds? That won't go away in a day? I bet I carry it all effing week.

It didn't help matters much yesterday that we had a family birthday dinner at which I ate nasty stuff. Here's yesterday:
  • tea with cream
  • lemon gelatin water stuff
  • omelet with ham, cheese, and tomatoes
  • some hash browns (I asked for them not to be there, and got them anyway. And ate some)
  • walnuts
  • a string cheese
  • 3 potato chips
  • smoked turkey
  • baked beans
  • cole slaw
  • more potato chips
  • a few peanuts
  • wine (very sweet wine, at that)
  • veggies and dip
  • and then the capper - Oreo Blizzard ice cream cake with cookie-fudge something or other in the middle
  • more tea with cream
I will say now that the ice cream cake made my stomach unhappy almost immediately. It's still a little nasty. It wasn't one of those "what was I thinking?" moments - I was thinking I was at a family dinner and would just be polite (especially after getting a bit over-emphatic in quelling a political discussion I didn't want to have happen, which strikes me this morning as having been pretty rude, since it wasn't our house). 

Sleep last night - and all weekend except Saturday night (which was probably pain-related) - was good. I've continued to have a small infusion of fat just before bedtime, and so far, it seems a lot more effective than honey for me. Maybe that will change, but I fell asleep quickly, without noise needed, and woke up for the first time at 5:19.  I still don't feel very rested, but I'm putting that down to being in a big pile of sleep debt right now; I'm hoping as it gets worked off, I'll start feeling better in the mornings. And even Saturday night was less bad than usual. I woke up at 2:00 on the dot from a bad dream, spent about 20 minutes deciding to get up and find the aspirin, and was back asleep pretty quickly after 3:00. Sleep after that was fitful, but still not an "awake night" like I'd been having.

So. The week coming up will be a lot more cleaning and packing and getting rid of things, I think. Lee's home, and we are planning to head East Saturday morning to meet Biz half way with a trailer of her stuff and the guinea pigs, whom I will miss a lot. Still no word on whether we're actually moving, but if we don't move right away, we will have made our house a lot freer of clutter, and I think that in itself will have been worth the effort. Probably will also get some good maintenance done and will have freshened up the paint where needed. And then I'll still be stuck with my crap job and horrid commute - getting free from those is the thing that's motivating me to hope that the move goes through.

Finally, I think I've found something that is actually helping my right shoulder, which I messed up at Mardi Gras over 3 years ago and which has been somewhat helped by MAT, massage, and Rolfing, but never quite fixed. Resistance bands to free and stretch the subscap seem to have been helpful after the first shot of them - last night. I will be doing them nightly for the next few weeks, to see if the help is real. I sure hope so. I have to think that rolling onto that shoulder at night has been contributing to me sleeping lighter than optimal, if not waking me up outright.

No comments:

Post a Comment