Thursday, January 22, 2015

Thursday

I am not Grok. 

I would like to be - heaven knows, I would - but I make my living in IT, doing stupid computer shit sitting in a chair all day. In a cold climate, where getting outdoors is not always even bearable, much less optimal. And I commute. Last night, driving home took 3 hours. The last hour was spent within 5 miles of my house, because nobody could drive up an iced-up hill that was on my route home.

This is what supports my family. I would love to go do something else, but really, not much else provides this level of income, certainly nothing that would allow me to live an active outdoor life with lots of balance.

Obviously, I have a problem. And I don't really know what to do about it.

Paleo eating saved my health 4 years ago. No doubt about it, and I would like to embrace the rest of the lifestyle more than I do. In The Eighth Habit, Steven Covey talks a lot about "aligning" the process to the desired end result. My life is not "aligned" in that way - work and responsibilities are very much at cross-purposes with nearly everything that might make life enjoyable. And I'm 53 years old, which doesn't give me a lot of time to get it fixed. 

We have a chance next week, in the course of a 20-hour drive to New Orleans for Mardi Gras, to do a lot of talking about what we want to do. We are seriously considering a move, one that should eliminate the winter weather. And one that would allow me to try to minimize my commute, since we'd be starting fresh. I hope we can use the time profitably.

All that said, my fall on the ice yesterday created a mild ankle strain, so I am limping a bit today. My thumb is better, but I don't think I'd want to put a lot of weight on it for a while yet. Short version: I'm probably off exercise for the next week or so. Not abandoning the challenge completely, but I can't really do much of it. Ugh.

155.8 this morning - good considering I have swelling. Here's yesterday (not so good):
  • tea with cream
  • scrambled eggs
  • bacon
  • the usual supplements (extra fish oil)
  • macadamia nuts (not many)
  • m&ms
  • a scotch
  • meatballs and spaghetti sauce with mozzarella cheese
  • 1 tsp honey
I don't know if the m&ms (23g carbs) or the scotch were enough to derail the ketosis I saw the other day - I didn't test last night. And a short evening (arrived home at 7 pm) definitely reduces the snacking opportunities - I threw myself into a hot bath with Epsom Salts to try to keep the issues down to a minimum.

At least it's sunny today. I guess I can get me some sun.

No comments:

Post a Comment