Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Wednesday - never mind.

I did let Lee know that I would be reintroducing cheese and heavy cream and butter/ghee to my eating, and he was okay with it - especially if I would let (not my job, man!) him have heavy cream in his coffee.  His decision - especially since he is generally the one concocting the coffee in the mornings.  He didn't include cream today, that I know.

Here's yesterday's eating:
  • the usual supplements
  • hot tea (no cream)
  • hazel nuts (rather a lot - breaking an 18-hour fast)
  • grassfed burgers
  • salad with ham in it
  • italian dressing
  • green olives
  • hot tea with cream in it
  • strawberries
142.8 this morning, so the no-sugar thing seems to be holding out.  As it should, apparently.  I'm listening to the Robb Wolf podcast episode with Dr. Kurt Harris on it, and he's making a valid (to my amateur ears) case that starch and fat can - and should - swap in and out of a diet without increasing weight or the tendency toward the Diseases of Civilization, in an individual with a reasonably intact metabolism.  And I think I qualify.  Not that strawberries are a starchy fruit, that I know of, anyway, but his overarching claim seems to be that industrial seed oils and fructose are the big-bad disease agents, even over wheat (not sure I buy that one, and see no reason to reintroduce it), and that other whole foods are probably going to be less of an issue, in moderation. 

Lotsa churn in the paleo community these days, and I guess that's okay, but I hope we get some good studies and maybe some semi-definitive answers, at least, in the absence of a black swan.

No comments:

Post a Comment