Friday, April 22, 2011

Friday

Interesting.  No idea why this is going on.  I'm at 141.0 this morning - a new low.  We're not eating all that well, really - lots of meals out, Mexican with tortilla chips (n-6 oils bad!), a near-daily venture to the machines downstairs for either chips or trail mix or both.  Crap sleep (still, though the thermal events are settling down, no doubt because I set up a doctor's appointment).  And yet, after a dinner of shrimp on skewers (chosen for their PUFA profile over lamb, which, if domestic, would have been grain-finished - and they tasted good, so the purely-medical choice ended up being a good one) and vanilla gelato that was yellow (I am hoping that meant it involved a lot of dairy fat and maybe the odd egg yolk - and it wasn't over-sweet, either), with wine, I'm down a pound and a half.  I'm cool with that - seems to indicate that my body is doing it's thing regarding weight regulation and my diet is not unduly influencing it - but I did think I'd hit my sweet spot, in terms of weight.

I have decided to make the croissants for dinner Sunday.  They take 3 days to rise, which is a lot of time for the yeast to do their thing on the anti-nutrients in the flour, or at least, that is my hope.  And the ambrosia - a pure-sugar salad, only really saved from utter depravity by a quantity of whipped cream, and the fact that the sweetened coconut shreds are coconut in there somewhere.  I will probably skip that.

We are indulging in a bit of grandparenthood this weekend - our first, who is 7 months old and very charming, is visiting.  She was sampling things at dinner, and was all over the gelato - so much so that Lee got much less than his half, I think - but he was the one feeding it to her.  She also thought fairly highly of the olive oil, and Caesar salad - was helping herself to lettuce and sucking the dressing off.  And trying to eat the leaves as well, but they struck me as a bit of a choke hazard, so I don't think she got much - I kept removing them from her mouth as she bit pieces off.  It was quite entertaining.  I am going to puree the prime rib and the green beans for her on Sunday, and give her a bit of the mashed potatoes, with her mom's permission, of course.  I think she'll enjoy them.

This has been a very long week, but it is nearly over, and next week, we can go back to a quiet life and get some smaller projects done, I hope.  The major disruptions (at least, the ones we instigated) should be nearly over with for the year.  Barring any weather, warfare, or economic crises, that is, and those all seem possible these days.

No comments:

Post a Comment