Friday, April 1, 2011

April Fool's Day

Sad but true - I spent time this morning trying to figure out where the apostrophe goes in "April Fool's Day" - and I still may not have it right.  Pretty sure one is needed, though.

On to germane topics.  I had a conversation with Liz yesterday, while she was trying to find some lunch.  She was in one of the on-campus convenience stores, and wondered aloud how she'd ever survived her first two years eating "that way".  Said something about two weeks eating nothing but Spaghettios, and then wandered out to find some place that would give her tuna, either on Subway's "thin bread" or maybe on lettuce.  No, she's not fully on board with abandoning wheat products, even when they give her nasty digestive symptoms, but she is trying, and she does seem to "get it" - that we shouldn't be going heavy on the starchy grain-based food.  It's a start.

Lee and I went to Chipotle for dinner - he had a bowl with no beans, but with rice, and liked it better that way.  I had barbacoa tacos on soft corn tortillas - ate 2 of the tortillas and the last taco's filling with a fork.  You can eat pretty darn well there with not a lot of effort, really.  He is stalled again - saw the underside of 200 for a couple of weeks, then went on travel for a while and lost the momentum.  I told him we could get religious for a while - much more low-carb - and get him back on track, and we can. 

I linked to Dr. Harris' Paleo 2.0 post yesterday, and just want to say again how on-target he is.  Let the science lead, and eat in ways that don't cause harm.  We include dairy, occasional rice, and occasional corn (and occasional bad cheat days!), and have improved our health across the board (granted, Liz has traded digestive issues for balance issues, but I think would still say she is happy to have lost the digestive issues).  I should also admit that I'm drinking a Red Bull (sugar-free) right now - something that surely would not have been available to Grok or his tribe.  (I'm still fighting night sweats, and haven't slept well for going on a week now - although I do remember dreaming about running in a 5K or something last night - wouldn't have done that while awake.)

I did have some chocolate and some coconut after dinner last night - also rather a lot of cheese, now that I think of it - we were both starving after dinner, for some reason.  142.2 this morning.  If we do go stricter low-carb for a while to get Lee re-started on weight loss, I imagine I'll see that go down a bit.  Probably not much, though - I do think I'm where my body thinks it ought to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment