Wednesday, October 6, 2010

October 6th

No change in weight today - still 152.2.  Reassuring in a way, I guess; I can discern a pattern, and the gain has stopped, which means if I fast tomorrow (for convenience more than anything; Lee will be out of town and cooking breakfast is time-consuming), things should be headed back to the 150.2 region shortly. 

I found out yesterday evening that there was a reason I've been hungrier than usual in the mid-afternoons this week (I have been).  Lee had decided that, since he's been having yogurt with his eggs and turkey bacon, we should cut back to 3 eggs between the 2 of us rather than 4.  So I, who do not eat yogurt, had suddenly been cut off from half an egg.  I think it's fixed again, going forward.  I know what started it - he gets nervous about eating so many eggs, after the "eggs contain cholesterol.  High cholesterol is bad.  Eating eggs is bad." propaganda of the late 70s/early 80s (the years when America began getting really fat).  He rebels against this way of eating fairly frequently, just sure that it's unhealthy, because the doctors all say so.  But the doctors do not study nutrition, and the little that gets thrown in to their general medical education is all Lipid Hypothesis-based, so all they know to say is "the fat you eat is the fat you wear" and things of that sort.  So he's nervous about the way we are eating, even as he's about to weigh less than 200 pounds for the first time in over 20 years, and is looking visibly thinner.  And even in the face of my rather dramatic blood pressure and lipid profile improvements back in June, and his reduced blood pressure (he is up for a physical shortly, but hasn't had it yet, so no lipids for him).  I expect that when he gets his next results, he will be able to go off his BP meds, his metabolic syndrome will have ebbed, and his lipids will be enough better that he could broach the subject of backing off on the statins (but he won't; he believes in them implicitly).  Will that stop him being nervous?  Probably not.

Had a rather odd dinner last night - we went to Qdoba and I had ground beef with queso, guacamole, pico de gallo, sour cream, and cheese on it.  It didn't taste as good as I'd hoped.  Also had a piece of swiss cheese before dinner (my missing half an egg had me hungry) and some cheese-ball-and-pecans after.  That, along with the 1.5 egg and turkey bacon, was it for the day.  If humans operated strictly on calorie counts and the 2nd law of thermodynamics, I'd have wasted away by now.  That I could lose weight on far more calories and maintain on fewer, in what is, granted, an n=1 study, proves decisively to me that there's more here than meets the eye.

We did get the K2 and are trying to take it weekly, since it's a rather large quantity and the Whole Health Source blog tends to think we shouldn't overdose on it.  I can't say for sure that my skin has improved (I've taken a whopping 2 of them), but it seems smoother and less dry.  For what it's worth...

No comments:

Post a Comment