Tuesday, October 26, 2010

October 26th

It's weird.  Periodically since I started eating low-carb, my body has gone on a losing spree - pounds would just seem to melt off, sometimes more than 1 per day.  I figured that 150 was about where I would settle, being a weight I can recall being in my early 20s (when I paid no attention to my weight at all).  But I seem to be on a losing spree at the moment.  No real change in eating, but I'm down this morning to 148.4.  Fine, whatever.  But it makes me wonder what I weighed in high school, since I've read in a couple of places that I'll end up there.

I saw a disturbing online ad this morning - Talbots now claims that they're fitting "every woman, every size" and lists 2-24 and 0-22P as proof.  Size 22 petite - really?  How on earth could size 22 be described as "petite"?  For the record, when I was a size 18 last spring, I bought a linen sundress from Talbots.  It was a beautiful dress, in terms of fabric and construction and overall design, but I did not look good in it.  I would now (in size 10 or 12), but a size 18 body just can't look good in clothes originally designed for a size 8 or 10.  One of the reasons I've returned to sewing and am enjoying it so much is that the effort pays off with clothing that looks good on.  Not that I lost my skills as a seamstress when I was fat (and I'm a good seamstress), but no garments I could make were ever flattering, and I had a hard time visualizing styles that might look okay at that weight.  So I stopped, and went shopping and generally hated it - and settled.  I don't have to settle anymore.

But if I drop another size, having just bought new chinos and other stuff (like the blazers and the stuff from the "TupperWEAR" party), I'll be mildly cranky - sorta.

1 comment:

  1. Here is the definition of petite, as used in women's clothing sizes:

    Definition: petites refers to short women, usually under 5'4". The term originates from petites clothing, which is made to fit short women, and petites can also refer to women of any size who wear petites clothing.

    The size is referring to height and not weight.

    ReplyDelete