Friday, July 20, 2012

Friday

Garf.  I think I achieved some level of ketosis last night - or something.  In the evening, my ankles were still wider than my feet as we were doing furniture assembly at the new apartment, and I figured the nasty-sweet strawberry shake that Lee brought me (McDonalds - 112g carbs, which for me is 2-4 days worth) would crater all my good efforts for the day - especially as it was low-fat.  I did finish it, for what that's worth.

Anyway, we got home and I was sitting with my feet up, hoping they would drain a bit, when my left foot started cramping up badly, right in the arch.  I went out, to try to walk it off, and grabbed a Gatorade (10g more carbs, but also salt and potassium, so I was hoping it would help).  Drank that down quite quickly and things seemed to subside.

Until I had gone to bed and started falling asleep.  Both legs.  Shins and calves and feet and ankles, simultaneously.  For a while, I could not move, because picking a foot up off the ground put it into a position that made it impossible to put it back on the ground (it was dark, but at one point, I was quite willing to swear that the top of my foot was on the bottom and vice versa).  Worked the first wave out, went to the bathroom and got back in bed.  Started to drift off and BAM!  They came back.  I think this happened 3 or 4 times between 9:30 and I don't know what time.  At some point I went into the kitchen and grabbed 5 potassium tablets and took them - that used to help a bit when I was having leg cramps regularly, or I thought it did.  But when I was having leg cramps regularly, they were nothing as bad as last night.  Eventually, they stopped, and I got to sleep. 

I will note in passing that waking up to the news of the shooting in Aurora overnight was incredibly distressing - I'm both livid and inclined to weep right now.  I hope they are able to get some sort of explanation from the gunman, before hanging, drawing, and quartering him.

Here's what I ended up eating yesterday:
  • scrambled eggs
  • bacon
  • tea with cream
  • the usual supplements
  • 2 pieces of cheese around 2 pm (probably 3 oz)
  • another half ounce of cheese (dinner)
  • 4 slices of salami (dinner)
  • 2 french fries
  • the idiotic strawberry carb-bomb shake
  • a medium sized bottle of G2 Gatorade (10g carbs' worth - the label said the bottle held 2 servings)
  • 3 more pieces of cheese (1.5 oz total)
So, apart from the shake, I was doing pretty well, keeping carbs to a minimum, and it did (finally) start to make the water go away.  153.2 this morning.  I will continue to try to achieve SANE eating as much as is in my control (there was some politeness/family harmony stuff contributing to my drinking that shake; certainly I would have preferred not to).

I think I will have a bouillon today at some time, see if I can keep the cramps from returning at the same intensity tonight, although, as I've observed in the past, sometimes my eating has a delayed effect on me, so it's possible that the shake will make tonight uneventful, even if I eat or drink nothing else all day today.  Guess we'll see.

My feet are still swollen, so we're not done with the water just yet.  But I'm feeling a bit more hopeful.

No comments:

Post a Comment