Friday, April 5, 2013

Aha!

As I mentioned, I found myself seriously under the weather late Tuesday, after drinking more than I should have.  What mystified me the next day, when I was in my right-but-painful mind, was that I remember only 4 glasses of wine consumed over a 4-hour period with food.  And since I recall dinner pretty clearly and don't recall being particularly inebriated until the very end of it (and I confirmed with a fellow diner that I didn't seem all that drunk when we left dinner), I couldn't help but wonder what on earth was going on.  A colleague suggested that I'd fallen victim to the "endless glass" - we had waiters circulating and refilling throughout the evening; maybe they had snuck in a few extras that I just hadn't seen.  And it could have been that.  But I think I found a more likely explanation - a very low carb diet, which I'd been on last week for certain, seems to go very badly with alcohol - a quick Google search found multiple anecdotes of other low-carbers who found themselves almost completely intolerant of alcohol consumption.  Several of the anecdotes sounded remarkably like my evening - a worse reaction to drinking than they'd ever experienced before, after what seemed like a fairly innocuous quantity.

It is still possible that I just missed seeing some refills.  But having spent the prior week on a fat fast and demonstrating stronger ketosis than I'd seen in some time - and finding that I was still producing ketones even yesterday, I think it's possible that I ran into the same issue with alcohol.  The explanation offered on the forums where I found the anecdotes had to do with ketosis in particular; that the enzymes in the liver that produce ketones are somehow also used to detoxify and clear alcohol from the body, and that they might have been "busy".  Simplistic, I know, but maybe that was it.

No comments:

Post a Comment