Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Wednesday

I'm checking carefully to see that I label the days correctly this week.  Today, especially, since I'm dragging.  I think peri-menopause is catching up at last - I've spent the past two weeks sleeping at the wrong temperature - either drenched with sweat, or freezing, trying to un-drench.  It's not horrible, but it is making a good night's sleep a rare jewel.  I wish there was a switch one could just turn off somewhere, but I guess this is sort of part of life.  Wonder if paleo-era women went through this, or if it's somehow related to neolithic practices of some sort?  Practices I could drop, perhaps.

I ended up not wanting to cook last night, so I ate some cheese spread on pecans and called it dinner.  It wasn't really, but when it's just me and the freaked-out dogs (they hate it when one of us isn't home), I get uninspired pretty quickly.  As I was this morning - having fallen asleep at last around 5 am, I finally felt like getting out of bed around 6:15, so I skipped breakfast and will just IF today.  Don't need it for weight control, but I'm just not into eating this morning.  I may get lunch, if the mood strikes me.  I'm back at 141.6 this morning; not too surprising, really.  Probably a good thing to be at a low point going in to our weekend Mardi Gras-ing.

I got a book on migraine control for Elizabeth, that has a very paleo-like diet in it (he doesn't rule out flour or sugar as dietary triggers, but strict paleo would pretty much eliminate all of them).  Between us, I think she and I have read every internet article on Meniere's and Migraine-Associated Vertigo, and, in our humble don't-even-play-a-doctor-on-TV, opinion, she is suffering from the latter, no matter what her doctor says (apparently, the former).  I advised her to eat very clean between now and getting on the plane tomorrow, to see if that helps her get through the flight and back on her feet after, since the book indicated that food triggers can persist for several days and that flying can be an additional trigger, and the whole managing migraines thing is about keeping the cumulative triggers below one's tolerance threshold.  Made sense to her, so I think she will be eating "ingredients" today and tomorrow - identifiable whole foods, basically.  Maybe it will help; it certainly can't hurt.

Had something funny happen yesterday.  I had bought a case of Girl Scout cookies for charity from the daughter of a co-worker, pleading our diet as a reason that I didn't get any for us.  She felt so bad that I'd paid all that money with no cookies to show for it, that she brought me some gluten-free cookies (ginger snaps) and crackers yesterday, so I'd have something.  I haven't tried any of them yet - they were uniformly 20+ grams of carbs per serving.  But gluten-free!  I'll hold them in reserve in case I need something crunchy that coconut chips won't satisfy, I guess - and eat partial servings.

Lee agreed with me on the 72-oz steak challenge, but he didn't get into Amarillo until around 10 pm local time, so it wouldn't have been practical.  Maybe one day we'll IF, leave early from the house, and try it as a dinner option (what weird vacations we have!).

No comments:

Post a Comment