Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Tuesday

It is, really.  I checked. 

Holiday yesterday, so I spent the day around the house, puttering.  And eating - at the end of the day, I classified it as a "crap eating day", which isn't so great considering we're on the brink of a "moderate cheat weekend" (these terms sound like they should be copyrighted or something).  But this morning, the scale told me I was at 142.2 - nearly a pound down from yesterday, I believe.  So then I started going over what I'd eaten yesterday.
  • No breakfast, but a couple of cups of tea with heavy cream
  • Several forays into the cheese - cheddar and gruyere, I believe
  • Some walnuts
  • Some Trader Joe's dark chocolate almonds - maybe 5 of them
  • A bag of Boy Scout popcorn (aha!  crap!)
  • About 3 triangles of Toblerone (Valentines candy - but more crap, because it's extremely sweet)
  • Flank steak marinated in red wine and olive oil and herbs
  • Southern-style green beans with bacon
  • A glass of white Bordeaux (I think)
Just so we're clear - that day's eating registered with me as "crap".  And I start thinking back - a year ago, what would a "crap eating day" include?
  • Chips
  • Cookies
  • Crackers
  • Cheese
  • Drinks with sugar
  • Toast and butter (maybe even jelly) - breakfast on non-work days used to be 4-6 slices of "wheat" toast
  • Popcorn
  • Fruit (to convince myself it wasn't all crap)
  • Caramel dip (to make the fruit taste better)
  • regular meals involving sandwiches and pasta, no doubt
By comparison, yesterday was extremely nutritious - and obviously, not fattening.  Talk about the world turned upside down!

The flank steak was very good - we have traded out our giant 3 burner grill with side burner thingie for a very small, portable Weber gas grill - suitable for tailgating, but it can be hooked up to a full-size propane tank, which is what we have done.  It works really well (of course, it's new, and the burners haven't been exposed to a couple of winters around here).  I used a marinade recipe from one of the big Williams-Sonoma cookbooks - this one was for Meat, Pork, and Poultry.  Lots of good stuff in there - most of it paleo, more or less, or easily adapted.

Lee's on the road today, heading to New Orleans.  I will probably have leftovers for dinner tonight - might try pan-searing the remaining flank steak slices in a bit of butter and adding some sauteed mushrooms.  He says he can eat lunch by "drinking" a cup of Wendy's chili - um, okay.  Not perfectly paleo, since it has beans, but probably the least offensive eat-while-driving option they offer (sorry, but you'd need a fork to eat a bunless Single).  He's hoping to make Amarillo - but probably well after dinner or I'd point him toward the 72-oz free steak offer - these days, we might just manage such a thing.  Maybe.

No comments:

Post a Comment