Monday, February 28, 2011

Monday after our weekend in New Orleans

Wow. 

First off, let me just say that we had a fantastic time and partied like it was nearly Lent.  I'm just a bit (!) stiff and achy as a result - partly from throwing on Saturday and partly from the dancing at the after-party, I think.

Second, I never managed to eat either beignets or King Cake, oddly enough.  We did run into bread pudding several times, and I had a lot of Jambalaya and some Red Beans, and Lee and Elizabeth had a breakfast of biscuits and gravy on Saturday that were worth every bit of the cheat - no fake ingredients there!

New Orleans is a food paradise.  I don't think we had a bad meal.  And I'm willing to bet real money that the hash browns I ate at Saturday's breakfast were cooked in animal fat of some sort - they were amazing!  I had a couple of seafood omelets (shrimp and crawfish), some cold shrimp and crab salad, a perfectly cooked filet with two amazing sauces (must learn to make real Bearnaise!), stuffed eggplants, as well as the aforementioned Jambalaya and Red Beans.

Hardly any snacking - we had no time!  More drinking than a typical weekend, but not a binge.  And it was nice to take our high-altitude red blood cell count down to sea level and drink - I had two beers in rapid succession at the after-party without really noticing either one, except as thirst-quenchers.

Yesterday was a complete garbage food day, though.  My sole eating up to 7:30 pm consisted of a donut (raised, glazed), two glasses of orange juice, a bag of airline honey peanuts, and a bag of airline crackers (which were pretty tasty, actually, tho' made of nasty stuff).  Once I got home I had some cheese, and, I'm sorry to say, some potato chips.

So, after all that, and with a lot of swelling to go along with the muscle stiffness?  143.6 this morning.  I may not be done - I'm expecting a mild rise tomorrow as well - but really, that's not all that bad, for such a carb-laden weekend.  I loaded up on the salmon oil today to help with the swelling.

Both Lee and Elizabeth mentioned their approximate weight loss on this way of eating over the weekend, and between the three of us, we've lost 120 pounds.  That's an entire person (well, a skinny one).  Crazy!

No comments:

Post a Comment