Monday, February 7, 2011

And Monday again

Actually, it feels like Monday squared, or cubed.  I sat down abruptly on a kitchen chair yesterday morning and muscles on both shoulders knotted up simultaneously, leaving me with a caught feeling when I try to move my head into a full-upright position.  It's not excruciatingly painful, but very wearying, and definitely interfered with sleep last night.

I think on Saturday morning, I was at 141.6 - a new low for me.  Loss accompanied by the usual leg cramps - I have a spot in my left calf that is still very sore from them.  We ate Chinese for dinner on Saturday, and like an idiot, I had 2 egg rolls and some teriyaki steak appetizer strips, rather than an actual entree.  Note to self: Egg rolls bad.  I think I can say that I'm officially gluten-sensitive.  And in addition, the carbs gained me about a pound overnight.

Yesterday, being Superbowl day, we did snack and watch TV.  I had some cashews, lots of cheese, and made my remaining 90% cacao bar and some dried coconut into more of the paleo-ish "candy" we had before Christmas.  It was okay, but very not sweet - this lot of coconut is less sweet than the last so it didn't help the chocolate much.  I'm thinking of sprinkling them with sea salt to see if that helps - I think it will.  Anyway, lots of food, and I ended up this morning at 143.4 or 6.  Whatever.  It'll go away in a couple of days unless I get on a starch bender.

Pretty good dinner last night - put a top sirloin roast (at about 2" thick, it was too bit to be a steak) in the crock pot with beef broth, soy sauce (more wheat - oops), molasses (not much), a can of chopped tomatoes, a bell pepper, half a large onion, and about 1/2 pound of mushrooms.  The meat fell into two roughly-equal pieces while cooking for about 6 hours, so we each had one piece and a bunch of the other stuff.  I thickened the sauce with a slurry of 2 tablespoons of potato starch with cold water - didn't use all of it, either.  It tasted really good (though next time, I won't use anywhere near as much molasses - maybe even swap it for red wine), but there were way more onions than any of the other veg, and I ate enough of them to upset my stomach overnight. 

Interesting random reading over the weekend.  Because it's been cold, I indulged in my yearly reading of Laura Ingalls Wilder's The Long Winter, and had in addition, picked up Elisabeth Hasselbeck's book about gluten-free eating.  Both of them prompted thinking about diet, interestingly.  Toward the end of the long winter of 1881/2 (I think), the entire Ingalls family, having been reduced to subsisting on whole grain sourdough wheat bread and nothing else, was getting un-hungry, sleepy, and stupid.  They'd had potatoes for about half the winter and were doing okay while they lasted, but once it came down to nothing but wheat to eat, their metabolisms obviously shut completely down.  Seems right in line with Taubes' argument that the mechanism that makes one fat (carb-heavy diets and the insulin response) also makes one less likely to exercise.  Not that they were fat at that point; just trying to hold on to enough to survive, I think.  Hasselbeck's book was basically annoying.  I found myself saying (silently) "Hey, but...!" on nearly every page.  Maybe I'm over-simplifying, but if you need to eat gluten-free, your best bet is to buy raw ingredients (meat and vegetables and fruit) and turn them into meals yourself.  She had all these lists of ingredients to watch for when reading boxes of convenience food, and all this advice about cooking for one gluten-free member of a family when everyone else was still eating gluten.  Given that the stuff is, at best, and anti-nutrient, and at worst, a toxin, why is she feeding it to her kids?  And why is she going to all the trouble of finding gluten-free fake food-like substances in order to keep having penne, for example?  I don't know - we had it pretty easy with transitioning off the SAD, I guess - and without her incentive, since none of the three of us has full-blown celiac.  Maybe other people are just wedded to their original menus and cannot envision eating any other way.  It just seemed way too complicated a message for advice that really is pretty simple: You don't need "heart-healthy grains".  Stop eating them, and stop eating things that contain them.

No comments:

Post a Comment