Thursday, February 3, 2011

Not Bad!

I started out to make tomato soup from scratch this evening.  And I guess I really should have checked for a can of tomatoes before starting.  However, of such mistakes are new recipes created.  No canned tomatoes, but I did find a can of Ro-Tel.  So I made Cream of Ro-Tel soup for dinner, roughly this way:
  • 1 tsp Ghee
  • 1 can of Ro-Tel Original tomatoes and green chiles - 10 oz
  • about 1 Tbsp dehydrated onion
  • about 1/2 tsp granulated garlic
  • about 1/2 cup chicken stock
  • about 1/2 tsp green chile seasoning
  • about 1/4 cup heavy cream
Mix everything except the cream in a saucepan over medium heat, until it just starts to boil (really, simmer).  Add the cream, and use an immersion blender, food processor, or regular blender to puree the lot.  

Mine made about 1-1/2 generous servings (I ate all of them), especially after I threw a handful of Mexican blend shredded cheese on it and stirred it in.  It wasn't bad at all - I picked a rather larger saucepan (4 qt) than I needed, which made immersion blending very messy and not at all thorough, so mine had a fairly chunky texture.  It was pretty spicy, but very tasty.  I would do that again!

No comments:

Post a Comment