Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Tuesday

Exciting news!  I posted the link to Gary Taubes' new blog on Facebook yesterday, and actually got my sister to read it.  It's just possible she'll buy and read his new book when it comes out, and if what he says makes sense to her (it certainly did to me), perhaps she'll change how she eats and improve her health.  I tried to convince her to read GCBC (I would even have lent it to her), but perhaps my use of the phrase, "800-page magnum opus" put her off.  I won't push the issue - in the wake of the salt water thing, I just can't - but I will keep my fingers crossed.

Ate nothing between breakfast and getting home after work last night; while peanuts are available in the machine, the fact remains that they're Omega-6 heavy and therefore pro-inflammatory (somehow, that doesn't seem quite the right antonym to anti-inflammatory).  And I have something impinging some of the nerves in my hands right now - I slept funny over Friday night, I think - so I need to be settling inflammation down, not adding to it.  Doubled up on salmon oil this morning as well.

Poor Elizabeth!  She got cramps from potassium imbalance yesterday in her cheek and stomach and could not get them to go away.  I advised pigging out on avocados for a while and watching the salt. Hope that will help, as she is starting finals this week and could do without the distraction.

We got some boffo good cheese at Costco last weekend - a lovely aged Gruyere.  I opened it to cut up into snack-sized pieces last night and had dogs at my feet immediately.  They are crazy fond of cheese, especially Swiss-type cheeses, so the smell must have called to them.  But they didn't get any.  I ate the edges, probably even with wax (not entirely sure about the wax - but the edges were somewhat shiny).  Costco also had a French butter with sea salt, so I got some of that.  I am assuming that the cows were pastured, but without evidence (I haven't opened it up to see the color yet).  Given that, without bread, we don't have a vehicle for butter, I figure I can splurge on it when I do buy.  And it's healthy!  That's always a good reason.

No shift in weight overnight.  Seems like I really am settling in the high mid 140s, and that seems to be about right.  I certainly like the way it looks in clothes - and if I can just remember to do a few crunches (to exhaustion) and or lift occasionally, I could potentially make my next swimsuit a bikini again.  At 50, and without grossing out people in my vicinity.  Yee hah!

No comments:

Post a Comment