Thursday, December 9, 2010

Gaah!

My husband has been complaining that my recently purchased, size 12 chinos from LL Bean are too big, which annoyed me rather a lot, since I just got them.  Given that I did body fat measurements yesterday, I thought I would check to see if he was right.  My waist is currently about 28-3/4" and my hips 38-3/4".  LL Bean's size charts go like this:
  • Size 10:
    • Waist: 29-1/2"
    • Hips: 39-1/2"
Okay, I fit into the size 10s and am starting to be glad I ONLY ordered 2 pair in size 12 to replace the 4 pairs of size 16 I had been wearing (boy, I bet those would look pretty funny on, about now).

But here's where it got really surreal.  I kept reading (or my field of vision was wider than it needed to be).
  • Size 8:
    • Waist: 28-1/2"
    • Hips: 38-1/2"
I am closer in size to an 8 than a 10.  I cannot recall the last time I wore a size 8.  It may have been junior high.

So here I sit, a 49 year old woman with a dilemma.  Well, several, actually. 
  • Do I buy the size 8s or the size 10s?
  • Do I replace my current swimwear with a bikini? (Bear in mind that no matter how thin I am, gravity is a force to be reckoned with.)
  • Dare I try on the already-altered-once little black dress I bought in June that started life as a size 14?  Or do I just go buy something new?  For that matter, I have a handful of other undiscarded dresses in my closet - try them on, or just give them the heave-ho now?
  • Do I try to gain a little weight and stay stable somewhere that apparently isn't my genetic "normal weight"?  That sounds almost as hard as weight-loss on the low-fat plan.  Or do I go with nature here, keep eating the way I eat, and let the pounds and measurements settle where they will?  Even though that looks to be a rather expensive proposition (another new wardrobe).
Nobody in their right mind would have any sympathy for me right now, and I do not blame them.  Tee-hee-hee!

No comments:

Post a Comment