Friday, December 3, 2010

Friday

Went and ate Mexican last night - I was quite peckish when I got home from work - and that was after having a candy-machine package of trail mix (peanuts, the odd cashew, raisins, and M&Ms) mid-afternoon.  The trail mix was a conscious decision; with the holidays upon us, I see a lot of messages on TV and other places about eating sweet things, and I thought that would deal with a mild craving without damaging things too much.  It was very good, and it did the trick.

I also considered purchasing some eggnog while shopping last night - until I read the labels.  It ought to be simple, right?  Eggs, heavy cream, nutmeg, sugar.  I'm pretty sure that's the recipe.  But everything I picked up contained HFCS and several ingredients with too many syllables.  So for now, I passed.  Maybe I'll make a small batch - after all, at home, we have eggs, heavy cream, nutmeg, and sugar.  I bet homemade will taste more like what I remember as a kid, too; the stuff these days is too sweet and lacks body (sounds like a wine tasting response - sorry, but I don't know how else to describe it).

I sent Lee more details of weight-loss practices he might try - found the weight loss page on PaNu and copied and linked it.  I hope he reads it and tries some of the suggestions, because he still reaches for the low-fat fake yogurt and the bananas and the only one slice of bread because it stuck to the sandwich filling, and the fake sugar in his coffee.  He still has a lot of visceral fat, and that's the stuff that really has the health impact, so I am hoping he'll start seeing some success again.  He had a physical on Wednesday and I'm interested in his blood chemistry results (is it sad that I can reel off a list of things he should ask about?) - especially the blood glucose in his case, since he's on statins and I imagine his lipids will look statin-like.  Supposedly they also tested C-reactive protein, which is an inflammation measurement, and that will also be an interesting number, since he has significantly reduced inflammatory stuff like wheat, even if he hasn't been totally successful at eliminating it.

Oh, and I was at 147 this morning - I think it's healthy that I'm starting to obsess less about my weight.  I also like that I have the key to getting through the holidays without damaging my health this year!

No comments:

Post a Comment