Monday, December 6, 2010

Cold Monday

It's about 27 outside; not at all nice.  I had several conversations about the cold weather over the weekend, and about people being cold.  I know low thyroid will make people cold, but it seems like being under-nourished would have the same effect - what I think I remember hearing as a child: "no fuel for the furnace".  In such conversations, I find the words, "eat more fat" coming to my lips more and more often.  In groups of people who don't eat the way we do, that can prompt some rather odd looks.  Oh, well.  I live for the day when I hear a commercial that includes the phrase, "heart-healthy saturated fat" in it (we can all dream).

Ate pretty well over the weekend.  We saw a show on the Food Network Friday - one of those "The Best Thing I Ever Ate" ones - that included a pure Paleo recipe (not on purpose, I imagine, but it was).  Saute some chopped onion in butter to wilt it a bit, add ground beef and fry that up.  Top with wilted spinach (I sauteed it in ghee), and a couple of beaten eggs, and cook until the eggs are done.  Top with grated parmesan cheese.  We tried it for breakfast yesterday, and while I need to tweak the proportions - no recipe was given, so we just eyeballed it - it was really good.  And I'm not a big spinach fan.

I also made my own eggnog.  A survey of the commercial brands all included HFCS, so I did a bit of research and found a recipe that involved a bit of cooking (in case the eggs had any salmonella about them).  It is definitely the same thickness as commercial, but the flavor is a bit different and I haven't quite figured out why.  But I very much like the fact that it isn't nearly as sweet - a recipe that served 6-8 had just over 1/3 cup of sugar in it.  So a good start - and I may try adding a hint of vanilla; I think that might be the missing flavor (either that or bourbon, since I made it non-alcoholic).

146.2 this morning.  I don't think that's the lowest I've ever been, but it's down from the 147.0 I was all weekend.  I also seem to be losing inches around my waist - the lower abdominal subcutaneous fat I still have seems to be shrinking.  Good news and bad - my clothing is getting a bit loose again.  The good news is that maybe I can produce a six-pack - at nearly 50 years old.  That would actually be way cool.

Lee says he's losing weight again.  I'm not sure what triggered it, but good to hear.

And Gary Taubes is blogging!  I've been hoping that would happen one day - I read a lot of nutrition blogs these days and loved his book, so the combination should be wonderful.

No comments:

Post a Comment