Thursday, December 16, 2010

A nightmare

Just came from the holiday party at work.  Here was the menu:
  • Pizza (various sorts)
  • Salad with a choice of dressings (including blue cheese)
  • Cake
  • Cookies
  • Candy
  • Apple Juice
  • Cranberry Juice Cocktail
  • Coke
  • Sprite
I did the best I could navigating the minefield; a reasonable helping of salad with dressing (it had "vegetable" and soybean oil both, but probably was nicely full of fat), one slice of pepperoni and black olive pizza, from which I peeled and ate the toppings and cheese, a small handful (maybe 10, total) of plain M&Ms, one King Leo peppermint ball (1" diameter, I think) and one cookie.  I did not drink.

I was sitting there, toying with my dessert, when one of the other women at the table started to talk about problems with her insulin levels, and how she couldn't possibly miss a meal without feeling faint and seeing spots and didn't see how anyone could.  I couldn't help myself; I turned to her and said, "oh, I do that routinely - I only ate dinner on Monday."  And then I shut up.  I try not to make a big deal of the way I eat, and I was very matter-of-fact about peeling my pizza and skipping the crust.  And if I can find a natural way to slip in a remark about "heart-healthy saturated fat", I will, mostly to see if anyone actually is listening.  But I won't proselytize.  Maybe I should, but I can't - unless someone asks and really seems to want to know.  And after my aunt's and sister-in-law's reactions ("oh, yes, that's exactly what we're already doing", as they proceed either to consume or serve flour- and sugar-laden food), I'm even a bit chary of sharing with people who act interested.

Anyway, one holiday minefield successfully negotiated.  Don't know how many more to go...

No comments:

Post a Comment