Thursday, February 19, 2015

Thursday

(as an aside, this week is moving remarkably fast; I really thought today was Wednesday.)

I performed an interesting experiment yesterday, and am glad of the results, although I'm not enjoying them much.

I ate 3 pieces of King Cake. About the equivalent of the bread to make a sandwich, I'd say. I won't be doing that again - and any thoughts I'd had that 'bread isn't so bad' or that I might try eating it occasionally, have been effectively quashed. 

It didn't make me sick yesterday, although it prompted a bout of indigestion that proved hard to ignore or eradicate. And I sort of slept last night (more on that later) - much better than the night before, at least. But I'm sitting here this morning with "medicine head", exhausted, aching from head to toe, slightly dizzy and/or faint, unable to focus brain or eyes, and with nasty stomach symptoms. I have taken no medicine in the past 24 hours apart from vitamins and a time-release melatonin at bedtime last night. So I have to put the blame on the wheat.

I won't be having bread - or thoughts of having bread - any time in the foreseeable future, and if the urge comes upon me again, I think how I feel right now is intense enough to spawn a memory that will be available then. Yecch.

As for last night's sleep, it was better than the night before. I had a lot of temperature fluctuations, and had to keep adjusting the heat or lack of heat on the mattress pad, but I didn't explicitly wake up. And I feel stupid for not trying this earlier, but I've had the mattress pad set at "4" on a 1-10 scale; I'm thinking I should try it on "2" tonight to see if I can leave it on all night. Tonight can be a Benadryl night again, too, so at least I'll get some sleep. But if the lower temp on the mattress pad works, maybe the melatonin, magnesium, honey combo can be made to work more reliably for actual rest. Oh, and I had a leaping-out-of-bed leg cramp last night, and even got back to sleep after that fun.

I also stopped with the iPad around 7 last night - watched TV, with my table lamp off to dim the room. I think it helped, and I'm thinking I might get a sleep mask as a first attempt toward complete darkness for sleeping - before trying to monkey with the curtains some more, since that affects Lee as well.

156.8 this morning; I've been eating a lot this week for some reason, and a lot of sugar early, at least. Here's yesterday:
  • tea with cream
  • the usual supplements
  • scrambled eggs
  • bacon
  • 3 pieces of King Cake
  • macadamia nuts
  • salad with meat, cheese, blue cheese dressing
  • a handful of cashews
  • a bunch of dried strawberries
  • 1 tsp honey
We also made it to the gym yesterday - I got a mile in at about 13:40, but found it very tiring, probably since we haven't been in a while. I really do want to get a good pace going for the Bolder Boulder this year, and want to train to that end, so we need to just suck it up and get to the gym - and I need to sign up for the race, already, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment